Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DUI identification

Article about: Gents, Need some help I picked up a small uniform grouping this week (Ike, pants and boots). Not normally my area but goal was to preserve the grouping instead of it getting split up. I woul

MAP
    ?

Default DUI identification

Gents,

Need some help

I picked up a small uniform grouping this week (Ike, pants and boots). Not normally my area but goal was to preserve the grouping instead of it getting split up.

I would like to re-create the insignia. Can anyone identify the DUI's on the collar or Cap. As well as what collar tabs he would have worn? Photo of him (on the right) is poor but hopefully some of you may know. Lastly, can anyone ID the Aiguillette?

The only reference I can see regarding the DUI is a comment in his discharge papers that states "Lapel Button Issued ASR Score 36". I have no idea what that means.

As seen from one of the photos, the soldier won the purple heart as well as a bronze star, as well as the good conduct, and campaign awards. Plus, the Rifle, Auto Rifle, and carbine marksman badges. Unfortunately, I was not able to acquire any of these.

Apparently, this soldier was transferred between a number of units

He served with the following units. Most of the time post war.

68th Armored Division (Feb 45 to July 45)
    180th Infantry Regiment, 45th Division (July 45 to Nov 45)
    23rd Infantry Regiment 2nd Division (Nov 45 to April 46)

Another oddity is that his discharge papers have him earning the purple heart in 1943. But he did not enlist until June 1944. So probably a typo and it should be 1945. Plus, his Bronze Star Certificate earned during the Rhineland Campaign was awarded in June 1948.....well after the war was over.

DUI identification

DUI identification

DUI identification
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

You know this type would look great.
    But the shape does not match what he is actually wearing in that photo.
    DUI identification

I'm trying to figure out what he actually is wearing from those blurry photo's provided.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP, it would be pretty difficult to narrow down that particular DUI from the photo. The army was awful with their DUIs in WWII. Many were official some not official, different units used the same ones or ones very close in appearance to each other and the shape of the ones your looking for are a pretty common shape. Not impossible to figure out just hard.

The Aiguillette is a fourragere for the croix de guerre as a unit award not an individual award. This might help you narrow down his war time battalion and aid in finding the correct DUI.

HIS ASR score is the famous “points” service member accumulated for priority of rotation home and discharge. And the lapel button is the honorable service discharge ( ruptured duck) in a lapel pin he was authorized to wear in civvies.

?

Oh wait!!
    How about this one???
    I think it would be a match for the 23rd IR.
    Found this one on USMF for ya!!!!

DUI identification

DUI identification

BAM!!!!

Here is a link to that thread on USMF.
    1Sgt Fred Marburger M Co., 23rd IR, 2nd ID— Survivor of Hill 192 and commanded two MoH recipients in the defense of Elsenborn Ridge - UNIFORMS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Great looking uniform Michael!!
    Good Job saving it from be separated.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I think it’s the 23rd infantry regiment DUI.

Phil beat me to it and with a pic to follow! Thanks

MAP
    ?

Ignore the below....I was typing while you were working.............LoL

this is awesome. Thanks so much!

Now I know what to find and buy and tell the family too!

Thanks again!

Thanks Gents. One piece of paper work, it states that in Jan 1945 The 68th AIB of the 14th Armored Division was temporarily attached to the 315th Infantry. During this time the 68th battalion was defending the left sector of the Rittershoffen

As such I would assume that would be his wartime unit. So could that be the DUI he was wearing? Unfortunately I can't be sure as the DUI's I am finding online appear to have a different shape. It certainly isn't the 14th armored Division as those are triangular.

Assume the below is for the 68th based on Google.

DUI identification
    Last edited by MAP; 06-08-2021 at 07:09 PM.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I did a crop on his face to see if I could get a clearer image of the DUI on this garrison cap.

I think its it!!
    DUI identification

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I did a crop on his face to see if I could get a clearer image of the DUI on this garrison cap.

I think its it!!
    DUI identification

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Now to find a set! Also need all the ribbon bars, and such to recreate the uniform. Not an immediate priority but do want to return the uniform to it's original state.

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    but do want to return the uniform to it's original state.
    Glad to hear that!!
    That's a Nice Ike.
    It does deserve some Bling.

In my often 8th AF DUI searches , I'll keep that one in mind. Easy one to remember!!
    If I see any I'll PM ya!!

I didn't check dates , But does your guy fall in somewhere in the 26th IR .

on Hill 192?

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Glad to hear that!!
    That's a Nice Ike.
    It does deserve some Bling.

In my often 8th AF DUI searches , I'll keep that one in mind. Easy one to remember!!
    If I see any I'll PM ya!!

I didn't check dates , But does your guy fall in somewhere in the 26th IR .

on Hill 192?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Phil. Let me know if you find a pair.

His war time service was with the 68th Armored infantry battalion, 14th Armored Division. From Nov 45 to April 46 (Occupation) he was with the 23rd IR of the 2nd Division.

So his bronze star and purple heart was awarded when he was with the 68th. But the bronze Star was not awarded until June 16th, 1948. Over 3 years after the war ended. The citation gives no details other than it was during the Rhineland campaign. Maybe we can assume he won it the same day as his purple heart (but again I think there is a typo on the PH as it says he was wounded March 23rd, 1943. It must have been 1945 as he didn't even enlist until 1944.

Here is a video of the 68th in April 1945. Maybe he is in the clip...Interesting M1 Carbine at the 5:20 mark. Extended barrel??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast