Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Highland Fusiliers of Canada and other "Fantastic beasts" of the Commonwealth

Article about: This is one with which my Canadian friends here might be able to assist. In my collection I have pretty much achieved my limit with most regiments and in particular Scottish regiments where

Default The Highland Fusiliers of Canada and other "Fantastic beasts" of the Commonwealth

This is one with which my Canadian friends here might be able to assist.

In my collection I have pretty much achieved my limit with most regiments and in particular Scottish regiments where the military diaspora seems more obvious (don't want to go any further back than the 1881 reforms and limit myself to the very end of the Victorian period). So, as is the way of the collecting habit I have opened that "Pandoras' Box of considering the Commonwealth regiments that are affiliated to or associated with British counterparts

One of the first of what I expect to be many is this one, The Highland Fusiliers of Canada.

Formed in 1965 on amalgamation with the Scots Fusiliers of Canada they wore the badge shown here until 1998 when they received the title "Royal" at which point I believe the badge was modified.

The Highland Fusiliers of Canada and other "Fantastic beasts" of the CommonwealthThe Highland Fusiliers of Canada and other "Fantastic beasts" of the Commonwealth

So, it appears that I have given myself tasks from the outset. If I am correct about the badge changing when the "Royal" title was granted I already require a current badge.

Add to this the pre-amalgamation Highland Light Infantry of Canada (very similar to the British HLI) and the Scots Fusiliers of Canada, not to mention officers badges and I am clearly experiencing "Mission creep" whilst standing in the door with the red light still on!

Any advice from those versed in the Canadian field will be well received. The same applies to Australian and New Zealand experts. As for the rest, I hope I live that long

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

That is a can of worms Mark. Three Scots meeting in a pub on the other side of the world was enough to start a new Caledonian Society.
    In New Zealand there were over a dozen Scottish Volunteer units formed between the 1860's and 1900. The 1st Battalion New Zealand Scottish Regiment was formed in January 1939, an Territorial Infantry unit that saw wartime service in the Pacific and the Middle East.

The Highland Fusiliers of Canada and other "Fantastic beasts" of the Commonwealth

Quote by Anderson View Post
    That is a can of worms Mark. Three Scots meeting in a pub on the other side of the world was enough to start a new Caledonian Society.
    In New Zealand there were over a dozen Scottish Volunteer units formed between the 1860's and 1900. The 1st Battalion New Zealand Scottish Regiment was formed in January 1939, an Territorial Infantry unit that saw wartime service in the Pacific and the Middle East.
    Thanks Peter, the can just got deeper!

I started with Canada because their "Scottish" units generally are easier to "see" as it were but knowing that NZ and Aus would follow (I already have the Australian Byron Scottish) so "Let the games begin"

Any advice or tales of experiences from any of my new hunting grounds is much appreciated

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-14-2022 at 09:16 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."