Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Masthead / Commissioning Pennant questio

Article about: Hi, I have a Second World War Royal Canadian Navy commissioning pennant that, as you’ll see in the photos, is on a wooden spool or bobbin sort of thing that has a number 2 handwritten on t

Default Masthead / Commissioning Pennant questio

Hi,

I have a Second World War Royal Canadian Navy commissioning pennant that, as you’ll see in the photos, is on a wooden spool or bobbin sort of thing that has a number 2 handwritten on to one end. Does anyone know what this wood spool was for? I’ve searched but have not been able to find another pennant with this feature...

I recently purchased a similar British commissioning pennant and it had the same type of rod. I did some searching online and found pix of a British commissioning pennant and it appears that is a common design feature. There is a short rope that is attached to the dowel and then to the flag rope. I'm sure the Brits have a reason for doing it that way.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Masthead / Commissioning Pennant questio  

Interesting! Thank you for this.

If anyone else has photos showing such a rig, I’d love to see them.

?

Just as many full-sized flags have wooden toggles, these are simply pushed through loops on the mast rope, permanently fitted to the mast, then raised/lowered as required.
    This is a daily requirement in the ‘colours’ ceremony (morning and evening - the flag being stowed overnight), so a quick and simple (but secure) method is required.
    The wooden toggle fits the bill.

All the best,
    Bob

Thank you, Bob. I’m familiar with the wood toggles on larger flags but didn’t connect those with the dumbell-shaped one on this pennant. What you say makes perfect sense!

?

Naturally, the commissioning pennant (and then the de-commissioning pennant), are only flown once.
    I was fortunate enough to be present at the de-commissioning ceremony of HMS Daedalus (where I worked for the wind-down for the last couple of years - a very sad day), and recall that the pennant was several yards long, and the commander kept it (by tradition).

Such a pity yours has no indication of the vessel, but it’s a lovely and unusual thing, nonetheless.

Stay well,
    Bob

Thanks, Bob. The pennant came from a RCN Fairmile torpedo boat but, unfortunately, I don’t know which one.