Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge

Article about: Is that a genuine arm badge in the top photo of post no. 6? I regret bitterly not buying a couple of caps a few years back - 17th/21st officer's Full Dress & Service Dress caps, complete

Default "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge

Hi Guys, I should explain that the Regt never called this a "cap badge" and it was always known as "The Motto". I think this most famous badge is the best one ever worn by the British Army.

This example is from my collection.

The Regt recruits locally to me in Notts/Derby. Although it is now amalgamated and known as the Queens Royal Lancers. The new badge now has crossed Lancers behind the skull.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge   "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge  

Default Re: "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge

Does the new regiment actually have the lances behind the skull on its "cap badge" Ade, or only on crests, vehicle insignia etc?

Is the one you're showing a fairly modern "plated" type of badge?
    I have these in white metal, silver anodised & private purchase (not optional during recruit training in the 1960's / 70's apparently - you don't have to but YOU WILL buy one of these) chromed that a 17th/21st sergeant I was working with years ago gave me.

Hi Leigh, not sure if they actually wear the Lancers behind the skull or not? As you know, post 1945 stuff is really not my thing.

The one I show came from a friend who served in the BAOR in the 1980's. These were from stocks purchased by the Regt: again they did not like the Staybrite version, so you bought one of these.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade.

This reminds me of the the "comments" my eldest boy said to me when I said something about his cap-badge. The polite version of which was, "It's NOT a cap-badge, it's a CYPHER!!"
    My son is with 1st Regt Royal Horse Artillery

Also, the regiment, (1RHA), only wears the cypher on the beret, but also wears the generic RA cannon on No2 SD caps.

When he comes home from Afghan, I will get a picture posted up.

Regards etc

ian
    ?

hi ade i was 17/21L for 9 years if i can help with anything to do with that reg i will cheers ian
    the reg does not wear lances behind the motto other than on the cross belt pouch on ceremonial uniform
    they wear a red background to it on the berret (queens royal lancers only) the 17/21L only wore the motto
    cheers ian
    Last edited by ian; 02-16-2010 at 05:45 PM.

ian
    ?

heres some of my motto,s amixture of ages and metals
    shoulder titles and stable belts , caps
    cheers ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge   "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge  

ian
    ?

this is a very scarce badge only 100 made
    we wore it on our overalls during the canadian army trophy tank gunnery copatition in 1977
    every member of the team were given 2 i still have both mine
    cheers ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge  

Reg
    ?

Derby museum has a small but interesting display of 17/21 bits and bobs! I usually nip in and have a browse while the mhemsahb is shopping.

Reg

I am from Lincoln and I had the chance of joining 17/21st Lancers when I was at the Selection Centre in Sutton Coldfield in 1978.

At the last minute I changed my mind and joined The Life Guards!

Great regiment but cap badge or "motto" not as good!

Nice badges Ian

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

ian
    ?

as far as i am aware this is the only motto that has crossed lances
    it is either a pouch motto or a rank chad
    cheers ian
    forgot to say this is QRL
    you can see the 17/21L rank chad on my previous post
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "The Motto": 17th/21st Lancers cap badge  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast