Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Old Union Jack

Article about: I came across this old Union Jack at the flea market today it has been sewn together and is approx 5 -2 feet in size and is constructed of what I believe to be a light weight cotton it will

?

Default Old Union Jack

I came across this old Union Jack at the flea market today it has been sewn together and is approx 5 -2 feet in size and is constructed of what I believe to be a light weight cotton it will make a nice backdrop for a display there are no markings that I can see present anywere I just thought it should have a good home it would have been a shame to leave it there I am unshur if the Union Jack has changed much over the years was kind of hoping to date it somehow.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old Union Jack   Old Union Jack  

Default Re: Old Union Jack

No change since 1801 +/-.

Nice old flag. Looks like a VE Day celebration flag from 1945 (wild guess).

The "hoist" (rope side) is usually placed on the left when displayed on a wall, with the wide white band on top (as you have it).

Cheers, Pat

?

Its a Union flag not a jack, the jack had thin white lines whereas the flag had the thicker broader white stripes

I have one of these large lightweight British flags as well. They make great display pieces. Yours looks a lot like mine and I was told that mine was Korean War era.

?

Thank you for the imput gentlemen and the lesson on the difference between the Union Jack and the Union Flag this I did not Know Davejb I will brIng up examples side by Side for comparision.

Regards Mark K