Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge

Article about: Hi,picked this up over the weekend,i have some WW2 British badges and and inignia and would like anyones opinion if it is a good one or a restrike.I never paid a lot for it but if its right

Default Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge

Hi,picked this up over the weekend,i have some WW2 British badges and and inignia and would like anyones opinion if it is a good one or a restrike.I never paid a lot for it but if its right whats it worth.......Cheers Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge   Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge  

Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge   Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge  

Default Re: Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge

Hi Rob, the good news is that the badge is original. They are faked.

However, it is not a wartime issue badge. During WW2 the Glider Pilot Regment did not have their own cap badge. They wore the Army Air Corps cap badge. This pattern of badge was introduced post war. Many people get fooled by it and into thinking it is wartime due to the Kings Crown seen as part the design. After HM the Queen came to the thrown in 1953, a new version was introduced with the Queens Crown as part of the design. The Regt was disbanded in 1957.

With regards to value, I would estimate about £15 to £20 max. You may seen higher prices asked, but this is all down the confusion I outlined above.

Cheers, Ade.

Cheers Ade,i think i have done alright at £3 at a car booty,thanks for the info........Thanks Rob

£3 was a nice price.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I realise this is an old thread, but the one shown is a common replica. Here are two genuine examples, one in frosted silver made by Firmin and an unmarked one in whitemetal.
    The QC cap badge was designed and sealed but never taken in mass production due to the small size of the GPR at the time. Possibly they were were available as private purchase, but I have yet to find an example (I have such as set of collar badges).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge   Opinion on British Glider Pilot badge