Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Original or fake 101ste airborne patch WW2

Article about: Can someone help me to define if this 101ste Airborne WW2 Patch is an original patch? He has past the blacklight test at the back. But the back of the patch is different from the other patch

Default Original or fake 101ste airborne patch WW2

Can someone help me to define if this 101ste Airborne WW2 Patch is an original patch? He has past the blacklight test at the back. But the back of the patch is different from the other patch. Thank you very much for the help.

Hi There

No its not a fake its a merrow edge 1970's eagle.

Merrowed edge was introduced 1966

This is an interesting variation because of the eye

Phill

Hi Phil,

Thank you very much for your response. I didn't expected it could be an interesting item. How interesting is it? Normally I only collects WW2 items.
    I also have discover another strange Patch. Just see the picture. I never have seen a patch with colour above the eye. Do you know which one this is?
    Thank you very much for the help. Greetings Dirk

- - ------- - -

Hi Phil,

Thank you very much for your response. I didn't expected it could be an interesting item. How interesting is it? Normally I only collects WW2 items.
    I also have discover another strange Patch. Just see the picture. I never have seen a patch with colour above the eye. Do you know which one this is?
    Thank you very much for the help. Greetings Dirk

The colour above the eye looks to be staining, rather than a part of the design. It's yellowed on the back, and that same colour seems to have leaked through to the obverse, perhaps as a result of being glued into a collector's album for many years.

B.B.

As Brodie mentioned, the patch above looks to be soiled, hence the staining around the top of the eye.

The eagle itself is a cut edge patch, but the tab above is a later merrow edge patch,, so if the seller is trying to say this is a WW2 era 101 patch and tab, it is not..

Smitty

The merrowed edge tab and patch should go together.

I believe the cut edge patch is like my one a 1950's re below. It should have a rough feel to the back or have that starch feel.

Original or fake 101ste airborne patch WW2Original or fake 101ste airborne patch WW2

The reason why the first eagle eye is interesting is that the manufacturer used the same or similar punch tape /card design 40-50 years later for the ME version. This is typical of a US manufacturer that used it as a signature to their design.

The problem with mine is that because its not on Bando's site , it doesn't fit into his "Types"

Original or fake 101ste airborne patch WW2Original or fake 101ste airborne patch WW2

anyway I would pass on both if you want WWII era eagles, they normally go for US$100 for basic Type I.

Phill

Hi Phill, Brodie and Smitty,

Thank you very much for the help. I will look further for a type 1. But It’s hard to find a right one.

Do you maybe have some tips for a reliable seller? I’m afraid I will buy for the second time a wrong patch, when I continue my search.
    Geetings Dirk

Hi Dirk

I was stunned when I had a look on ebay and cold not show you a legit basic WWII eagle for $US100.0, yes there are legit WWII eagles but they range in price from $us200-$600!!

Also thee are 50's to modern era labled as WWII.

My suggestion is you can PM me and if a WWII eagle pops up for a descent price I will let you know.

You can also post on here and ask for opinions.

In the mean time look at this well known and researched site M Bando

Eagle Patch Corner

Also Emblems of Honor Airborne by the Kellers is a must have reference book

Emblems of Honor: Airborne Book update pt. 2 - ARMY AND USAAF - U.S. Militaria Forum

again PM if you want no probs there

Phill

Hi Dirk

I have sent you a PM

Phill

Yes, I have found a type 1. I want to think everyone for their help and support 👍