Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pagri / Puggaree badges

Article about: Following a recent discussion here I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on the Pagri or Puggaree badges worn by British and Commonwealth forces begining from the time of the F

Default Pagri / Puggaree badges

Following a recent discussion here I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on the Pagri or Puggaree badges worn by British and Commonwealth forces begining from the time of the Foreign Service Helmet and continuing as far as the Slouch or "Bush" Hat.

The Pagri or Puggaree is the folded cloth band worn around the crown of these headress and is derived from the Sikh turban.

From the outset it was perceived that a unit specific badge or device was required in keeping with the very prevalent principles or regimental identity.

Over time these insignia have taken very different forms apparently originating at unit level rather than from central edict.

Some of the earliest were simply the standard helmet plate centre made with a slider rather than lugs, others were versions of the regiments collar badge or actual conversions of collar badges whilst yet others bore no resemblance to the regimental cap badge at all.
    Some were either larger or smaller but of the same design as the standard badge. Others were embroidered cloth items in some cases made from the shoulder straps of obsolete red tunics and there is at least one instance of the embroidered pagri badge being worn on the much later beret (Lancashire Fusiliers).

So, I had a root through my collection and found that I have more pagri badges than I realised so I figured it would be a good idea to see what other members have hidden away.

Please add your pagri badges of all types here and let's see if it makes for a debate and some exchange of info.

Here are a few of mine and I will post others as and when.

Regards

Mark

Hemet plate centre fitted with slider
    Pagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badges

Somerset Light Infantry embroidered
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pagri / Puggaree badges   Pagri / Puggaree badges  

Last edited by Watchdog; 01-20-2023 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Rifle Brigade officers hallmarked silver

Hallmarked for 1899

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Coldstream Guards

Pagri badge compared to standard guardsman's cap badge

Pagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badges

Lovely badges, especially the cloth sli and the silver rifle brigade
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Lovely badges, especially the cloth sli and the silver rifle brigade
    Thanks Jerry, the 7th Gurkha Rifles is a particular favourite as I have had it since 1970 when it was given to me by a friend of my dad and I know where it has been!

Regards

Mark

Default Kings Own Scottish Borderers Sergeants / Other Ranks comparison

Here is a comparison between the badges worn by Sgt / Warrant Officers and Private / Corporals.

The larger Sgts badge (left) is older bearing the Queens Victorian Crown (QVC) and can be dated to a short period as the regimental title changed in 1887 from the 1881 title of Kings Own Borders to the new title Kings Own Scottish Borderers. So it was only in use from then until the change to the Kings Crown (KC) about 3-4 years later.

The smaller junior ranks badge is later bearing the Kings crown and was unchanged until 1953 when Queen Elizabeth II ascended the Throne and the Queens Crown came into use by which time there was no longer a requirement for pagri badges.

Also, as with other late pattern pagri badges that were identical in appearance to standard badges there is absolutely no reason that this badge would not have been worn in some cases on the other headdress items of the regiment as well as on the pagri as the pin fastening may have been preferable to making holes in the cap and in wear it is impossible to tell the difference..

Regards

MarkPagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badges
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-25-2023 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo

I will have shown some of these before but not in a dedicated pug badge thread
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pagri / Puggaree badges   Pagri / Puggaree badges  

Pagri / Puggaree badges   Pagri / Puggaree badges  

Pagri / Puggaree badges  
    Regards,

Jerry

more

Regards,

Jerry

for the far east, formation signs were worn either or the pug or on the turnup of a slouch hat and also on the tunic and it is hard to tell from which they came. I have a number of far east patches that might be from pugs. The slouch hat is 2nd Welsh

Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    for the far east, formation signs were worn either or the pug or on the turnup of a slouch hat and also on the tunic and it is hard to tell from which they came. I have a number of far east patches that might be from pugs. The slouch hat is 2nd Welsh
    Exactly so Jerry. Whilst some embroidered types were purpose specific many were actually formation signs originally meant to be worn on the sleeve but "re-deployed" to the pagri! In such cases when badges are found as single items it is impossible to say whether they came from a tunic or a headdress.

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast