Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Please help me ID my grandads ww2 army patches, desert rat jerboa, wolfs head :)

Article about: Hello, Please find attatched to this message some photos of ww2 british army patches which belonged to my late grandfather. heres some info we know about his army life - Served in India 3 ye

Default Please help me ID my grandads ww2 army patches, desert rat jerboa, wolfs head :)

Hello, Please find attatched to this message some photos of ww2 british army patches which belonged to my late grandfather. heres some info we know about his army life -
    Served in India 3 years until 1939 when war began, then in 8th Batallion Royal Tank Corps.

Enlisted 7 Jan 1935
    Posted India 14 Dec 1936 to 16 Nov 1939 (Wazir Force 1937 with 6th Light Tank Company)

Home 17 Nov to 25 April 1941

Middle East 26 April 1941 to 8 Nov 1943

BNAF from 9 Nov 1943 to 6 Aug 1945

Home 7 Aug to 25 March 1946

At some time served as a driving instructor at the Army Tank Training School at Rietti Italy.

Passed Tank Instructor Course 22 Sept to 3 Oct 1941

Along time ago my grandfather told my father the patches were:
    the jerboa – 7th Armoured Div
    wolf’s head – 1st Army Tank Brigade

The jerboa however is unlike any other i have ever seen.
    any one got any info they could share regarding these patches?
    or any other info that i may find intresting regarding my grandfathers military history?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help me ID my grandads ww2 army patches, desert rat jerboa, wolfs head :)   Please help me ID my grandads ww2 army patches, desert rat jerboa, wolfs head :)  

Default Re: Please help me ID my grandads ww2 army patches, desert rat jerboa, wolfs head :)

Hi Rob

The jerboa badge is in fact 7th Armoured Brigade. The other one I've seen before but can't remember where.... I'm working on it

Rob

Default Re: Please help me ID my grandads ww2 army patches, desert rat jerboa, wolfs head :)

Hi Rob, as Rob posted, the green Jerboa was used by 7th armoured brigade. Early war they had been part of 7th armoured div, but were tranfered after the capture of Tobruk to the far east.

I also don't remember what the dog/wolf patch is for.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks so far for your early replies, both myself and my dad think the wolfs head could be related to my grandads time in italy?

You're welcome Rob

I think 8th Royal Tank Regiment would be a likely candidate for your grandads unit. They served in 1 Army Tank Bde and 7 Armoured Bde, and they fit in with the family info you have. Just need some definite confirmation on the wolf patch.

Rob

I found a different version of a wolfs head badge used by the British and it is probably not related, but?

Geoff Newman Militaria

As part of South-Eastern Command,the wolf was chosen to commemorate the areas association with the 1st. Canadian Corps,"Woolf Force". The sign was also used by units of the Sussex Home Guard.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.