Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

R.E.M.E. Staff Sergeant photo - ex-Royal Engineer?

Article about: I would be interested to read your opinion about the above R.E.M.E. Staff Sergeant - am I right to assume that, judging from the gap there is between his chevrons and the Tudor crown, there

?

Default R.E.M.E. Staff Sergeant photo - ex-Royal Engineer?

R.E.M.E. Staff Sergeant photo - ex-Royal Engineer?

I would be interested to read your opinion about the above R.E.M.E. Staff Sergeant - am I right to assume that, judging from the gap there is between his chevrons and the Tudor crown, there once was a grenade in between them?

Hi Didier,

I can see why you might wonder about that but I think that from this photo it is impossible to say.

As I am sure you know the REME (Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers) was formed in late 1942 from technical/artificer trades of; Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC) Royal Engineers (RE) Royal Signals (R.Sigs), Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) and Royal Artillery (RA). Several of these did wear an additional device between the chevrons and the crown, eg; RE a grenade, RA a cannon, depending on the trade. Another thing to consider is that the badges on the uniform would usually be sewn on by either the soldier himself or a wife, girlfriend, mother etc to whom the precision of dress regulations meant little especially in wartime. So, a redundant device might have been removed but equally it might just be the result of the choice of whoever applied the badges. I know this doesn't really answer the question but I think it a realistic assessment.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."