I'm trying to date this cap badge that I picked up a couple of months ago. I don't come across many British items where I live, so I usually grab them up when I see them. My grandmother is a British war bride, so I have a soft spot for British items. Plus, I've always thought bullioned items look neat, so this one caught my eye. After I started researching, I noticed it was supposed to have a blue middle jewel on the crown for it to be WWII. This one is red.

I'm having a hard time finding date information specifically on the RAF cap badges with a red middle jewel, but I read somewhere that the Royal Navy's cap badges used to have a red middle jewel in the crown until 1920, when it was changed to blue. Was this the case for the RAF as well? If so then this would be dated from mid-1918 to 1920, right? I don't know if it matters for dating purposes, but the crown is portruding out some, almost like it is densely padded underneath.

Also, is this considered an officer cap badge or a senior officer cap badge? Or is there a difference? I've seen it listed both ways in my research and I wasn't sure.

Thank you for any feedback, verification, or corrections on my information. It is much appreciated!

-Robyn

RAF Officer Cap Badge - 1918 to 1920?