Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Pathfinders badge

Article about: Anyone got one? Apparantly it was an RAF emblem which was worn above the left tunic pocket awarded on completion of the pathfinder tour of 45 ops. Some were awarded prior to completion of th

kc1
    ?

Default RAF Pathfinders badge

Anyone got one? Apparantly it was an RAF emblem which was worn above the left tunic pocket awarded on completion of the pathfinder tour of 45 ops. Some were awarded prior to completion of the tour for some outstanding act. considering that bomber crews were lucky to survive the regular tour of 30 ops, 50% of bomber crews were killed, then to survive 45 ops was remarkable in itself. Whats even more remarkable is that some of these crews volunteered for pathfinders having already completed a tour, really pushing lady luck.

Lightbulb Re: RAF Pathfinders badge

I believe mine to be possibly genuine ( maybe ) by reason of the fact that I got it from a house clearance years ago where it had been kept with the Navigators badge and embroidered scarf shown in the pic.

But equally it may well not be genuine because fakes and repros abound, with people passing off RAF cap badges as PFF ones and the like. You really need the Pathfinder Certificate which went with it - and which I don't have. Those certs are now highly sought-after and - you've guessed it - fakes and repros etc etc etc

kc1
    ?

Default Re: RAF Pathfinders badge

Nice group. Do you think the numbers are the sortie number of the tour? Moilly le Camp was a lucky one to return from, there were numerous losses after a cock up with timing and or marking. Having just started sparking is that 4x2 the stitching is on, the stuff for weapons cleaning?

Lightbulb Re: RAF Pathfinders badge

Yes - I researched the full list of ops many years back. Whoever he was, he starts with Nuremberg, Peenemunde is #4, #s 6,11,12,13,15 & 16 were all Berlin and #28 and last was the disastrous Mailly-le-Camp raid, so he was a 'Battle of Berlin' man. You could well be right about the cloth.....