Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Royal Ulster Rifles 1st glider Battalion cap badge

Article about: Hi guys, appreciate a second opinion on this. many thanks in advance!

Default Royal Ulster Rifles 1st glider Battalion cap badge

Hi guys, appreciate a second opinion on this.
    many thanks in advance!
    Royal Ulster Rifles 1st glider Battalion cap badgeRoyal Ulster Rifles 1st glider Battalion cap badge

I think most Irish badges with the harp should be fretted between all the strings. Also the overall quality appears to be lacking.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

thanks jerry!

i was comparing to this one i found online and couldn't see any differences.

Royal Ulster Rifles 1st glider Battalion cap badge

Just because its online it does not make it correct. That aside, I am only offering an opinion which might be incorrect, it is not a badge I have studied and as I said, I thought Irish harps badges are usually fretted, I might be wrong.

As for differences, the face is different on the other badge and it has e-w lugs, not n-s as yours does.
    Regards,

Jerry

In fact, both badges are fakes, the dropped T in ulster is a sure fire sign of a fake.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks jerry, I appreciate your opinion and time!
    As always!

this cap badge is somewhat of a mystery with regard to its design and manufacturer. names put forward have been Gaunt and Firmin. as far as I am aware only one pattern exists, die struck sterling silver, solid back. being relatively scarce they command a few quid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Ulster Rifles 1st glider Battalion cap badge   Royal Ulster Rifles 1st glider Battalion cap badge  

I have always found this an attractive badge. unfortunately its original design and manufacture , like a lot of WW2 and earlier items , has been lost like footprints on the shore line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast