Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

sergeant stripes

Article about: good afternoon gents ,i picked up this british army sergeant stripes patch a wee while ago ,slightly moth eaten but overall in sound condition ,i was just wondering from what time period ,my

Default sergeant stripes

good afternoon gents ,i picked up this british army sergeant stripes patch a wee while ago ,slightly moth eaten but overall in sound condition ,i was just wondering from what time period ,my initial thoughts were ww2 can any body help to confirm this or are they earlier or post war many thanks james sergeant stripessergeant stripes
    Regards James

Default Re: sergeant stripes

WW2 I would say James, going by the herring bone braid, certainly post war examples are a bit different, though it might be pre WW2, hard to be precise on these. I'll dig out my examples later and have a look.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

many thanks jerry ,if you dont mind that would be brilliant ,thanks for you help ,james
    Regards James

?

I'm with Jerry on these..if they are post war ? I have a guess 50ish!!!...Also you would have to do some weights to wear these stripes size of the buggers!!! lol. Cheers Terry.

cheers tez for your most welcome input james
    Regards James

I had a look at my sets, and they are not post WW2, but do match the sets I have from pre 1945, though when exactly they changed to the typical post war versions I could not tell you, but IMO they match those from WW2 and I would be happy with them as of that period. In the attached picture, the obviously post war version is at top right, whilst the others are all circa WW2 IMHO.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture sergeant stripes  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

many thanks for the information and the picture of your examples to compare mine to ,yours are in wonderfull condition ,i can see the differance between the period ww2 and the post war example you so kindly show jerry ,thanks again james
    Regards James

?

Hi,

Found this thread to compare the sergeant and lance corporal stripes I picked up last weeks.
    Both pairs were sold to me as original WW2 period items. There's a little bit of difference in the
    colours. The front of the corporal stripes are a bit lighter and a bit smaller in with then the sergeant ones.
    I like to hear you're opinion about them

thanks, Menno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture sergeant stripes   sergeant stripes  

sergeant stripes   sergeant stripes  

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I had a look at my sets, and they are not post WW2, but do match the sets I have from pre 1945, though when exactly they changed to the typical post war versions I could not tell you, but IMO they match those from WW2 and I would be happy with them as of that period. In the attached picture, the obviously post war version is at top right, whilst the others are all circa WW2 IMHO.
    Just came across this thread whilst banging my head against the wall re my question here;

British / Commonwealth Battle dress rank chevrons

One thing I have managed to find out (a fairly reliable source I believe) is that in 1956 the tape used to make the chevrons was changed from the earlier light khaki shade to a white shade like those shown at lower right of Jerry's image thus obviating the need to whiten the stripes with Blanco et al as was contemporary practice.

I still can not find any information on the chevrons in my question though!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."