Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

South African 1st Pretoria Highlanders ID Bracelet

Article about: Hi all. I picked this up a while ago and thought I would show it as I don't have much SA stuff. Although I don't know much about how the South African forces were numbered but I am guessing

Default South African 1st Pretoria Highlanders ID Bracelet

Hi all. I picked this up a while ago and thought I would show it as I don't have much SA stuff. Although I don't know much about how the South African forces were numbered but I am guessing this is from WW2 as there is a chap listed on Commonwealth War Graves with a service number 15 digits higher and he died in 1941.

As for the unit, here is a little info from Wiki:

The regiment was founded by Peter Lawrence Goudie on the outbreak of World War II in 1939. He recruited 1,400 men within six weeks and also raised the funds to equip them with Highland uniforms.

During World War II the regiment, as part of 7 South African Infantry Brigade, took part in "Operation Rose", the invasion of Madagascar by South African forces in June 1942. As far as is known, this is the first (and only) amphibious operation in which South African troops ever participated.

I am assuming that R. C. Wright participated in the invasion of Madagascar. Apart from that I can't find much about this regiment's war time experience and I don't know I SA soldiers can be researched. Still, an interesting and for me unusual ID bracelet. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African 1st Pretoria Highlanders ID Bracelet  

Hello Spitace 41..

I noticed this post and wanted to reply be it quite an old post. My grandfather was in the Pretoria Highlanders and fought in Madagascar and then Egypt & Italy. His name was Raymond Clarence Wright and I wondered if this ID was actually his