Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge

Article about: I wasn't sure which sub-forum this should be in as it is officially an "award" but I doubt most people realise that and would not expect to find it there and I couldn't find anothe

Default Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge

I wasn't sure which sub-forum this should be in as it is officially an "award" but I doubt most people realise that and would not expect to find it there and I couldn't find another thread so here it is;

When the Territorial Force (part of the British Army) was formed in 1908, included in the terms of service was the stipulation that members were only required to serve within Britain, the idea being it was a "Territorial Defence" force, unless they specifically volunteered for foreign service.

In 1910 the Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge was introduced to recognise those who did volunteer for such service. It was worn on the right breast of the tunic and was classified as an award.

It was made in what is generically called white metal but there was wide difference in the actual alloys used.

Some used a high nickel content, others had an almost zinc like appearance and others had a relatively high copper content which gave them a yellowish brass like hue.

The two I show here are clearly from different dies and the lower one has a well executed replacement pin fashioned from what appears to be a common dressmakers pin. This to me shows that the owner held the badge in high esteem.

These badges are often seen in old WWI photographs in which they are not clearly visible and many people today simply do not know what they are and tend to ignore them. However, this badge puts the wearer on the same level as those who volunteered straight from civilian life rather than waiting to be conscripted.

The badge became defunct in 1921 when the Territorial Force was re-organised as the Territorial Army.

Regards

Mark

Territorial Force Imperial Service BadgeTerritorial Force Imperial Service Badge

Edit; See what I mean about the badge being unobtrusive and easily overlooked in contemporary images?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge   Territorial Force Imperial Service Badge  

Last edited by Watchdog; 04-29-2024 at 10:58 AM. Reason: addition
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."