Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

is this a "trench art" ring

Article about: Hi guys, Picked this up recently with a mixed lot of militaria, i wondered if it is "trench art" does anyone recognise what it depicts? and what would the 26 or 20 mean that is sta

Default is this a "trench art" ring

Hi guys, Picked this up recently with a mixed lot of militaria, i wondered if it is "trench art"
    does anyone recognise what it depicts? and what would the 26 or 20 mean that is stamped to the side??

any pointers are appreciated as always
    Ed
    is this a "trench art" ringis this a "trench art" ringis this a "trench art" ring

Wow that's a bit obscure!....

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Wow that's a bit obscure!....
    It sure is a long shot!!!
    but i never fail to be surprised by the wealth of random knowledge of the members of this forum!!

These rings have been baffling people for a long time now. Most that are found are dug from the ground and made of bronze or cheap cast metal. Sometimes they have what Look like "dates" on them and sometimes just a few numbers like yours. As to just what they are, I have yet to hear r read a plausible explanation. They are Old, I know that much. Half the time, they are described as Pre-WWI or even Medieval(Which I doubt). They are crudely made in very old styles and seem to be found the most in the Balkans or Southeastern Europe. I've seen them with "dates" such as "1898" on them, etc, but these numbers do not always seem to be dates. I've heard people speculate that they refer to military units or commemorate some unknown event, but as of yet, it is anybody's guess. I'm sure that Someday some one will come out and declare definitively just what they are, but until then, they're still a mystery.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."