Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U.S. 5th AAF Patches

Article about: Two 5th AAF patches, US and Australian made. (at least I think it is Australian manufactured). Bob

Default U.S. 5th AAF Patches

Two 5th AAF patches, US and Australian made. (at least I think it is Australian manufactured).

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. 5th AAF Patches   U.S. 5th AAF Patches  

U.S. 5th AAF Patches   U.S. 5th AAF Patches  

Here is another Australian made patch (I think) ... a little bit of moth damage but still nice,
    an AAF patch....

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. 5th AAF Patches   U.S. 5th AAF Patches  

A few more...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. 5th AAF Patches  

Hi Bob

Nice display, has a bit of everything in it. From WWII to modern era Army Army Air Force , nice WWII era coke bottle!

5th AF and the Far East Air Force in your cabinet are Aussie made.

I am unsure about the AAC roundle.

Your 1st AD looks like WWII but teh "OLD IRONSIDE" tab is c 1954

Your XVIIIth Armd Corp looks interesting , if original would be a rare piece.

Phill

Thanks very much for the info Phil, I am just a hack collector with the patches, but it is fun learning the intricacies of all the patches.

The Coke bottle is a 1942 example... - some pics.

Cheers

Bob

U.S. 5th AAF Patches  

I have to go out today, but will take some photos of the XVIII AC patch when I get home and post the photos up,
    curious to see what you say. It came from a fairly good source.

Here is another Coke bottle, this one a 1944 dated example that was found in one of the old Pacific battle grounds.
    (beside the 1942 bottle, and yes, I had to put some real Coca-Cola in it for the photos ).

Bob

Hi Bob

There is no such description as a hack collector,as I call us "Guardians of History !"

I like seeing WWII era house hold items interspersed amongst the collection, kinda puts a human touch that we all can relate to.

cheers mate.

Phill

Hi Phil,

As promised, some more photos of my US XVIII AC Patch...

I had a small collection of US patches when I was going to school back in the 60's, as I have always liked them
    so recently I started to pick up a few again.

Cheers

Bob

U.S. 5th AAF Patches   U.S. 5th AAF Patches  

Hi Bob

Sorry to break this to yo.

The Triangle is WWII era but individual has added XVIII later probably 1960's trying to mimick white back reverse thread.

Here is several pointers:

XVIII is not aligned and the embroidery is off

The white bobbin reverse thread is the clincher , note how it stands out and doesnt match the original white bobbin thread.

Here are several real XVIII Armored from USMF.

You will clearly see the differance in embroidery and white reverse bobbin thread.

Don't buy this XVIII Armored Corps patch on eBay - ARMY AND USAAF - U.S. Militaria Forum

Phill

XVIII Armored Corps - ARMY AND USAAF - U.S. Militaria Forum

Bummer... but thank you Phil for vetting it, into the bin it goes.

I certainly appreciate you giving it the once over mate.

Cheers

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast