Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

U.S. Division/Unit Patches

Article about: Hello everyone, I have over 100 U.S. and a few other Allied division/unit patches that my Grandfather traded for/ acquired during his service as a Commanding Officer in the U.S. 70th Tank Ba

Airborne

U.S. Division/Unit PatchesU.S. Division/Unit Patches

Armored

Some really remarkable patches you have here in your collection.

Understandably life situations get in the way and finances are needed. I know what you are going through, and I would like for you to consider something first. This is part of your family history, and these are your items to do with what you want, but I would hate for you to sell some items now and regret the decision later on. Some of these pieces are sought after by collectors and some do have the chance of making you some decent money but, once they are gone you may not ever have the opportunity to share the stories of your grandfather's service and what he did and how he collected insignia during the war with your children. Again, the choice is yours completely and I would not want to sway you in keeping something that may not have sentimental value to you. If you have his letters I would put them in some sort of notebook in document protectors and that way you have his diary (so to speak) of his wartime experiences as well as the items that he was bringing home. This type of provenance when attached to a particular item almost surely confirms authenticity of items, especially in today's world where so many items are deemed fake and reproduction. Say in the letter for example your grandfather mentions bringing home a German Helmet with camouflage paint, and you just happen to have that German helmet with the camouflage paint, there is some of your rock-solid provenance..

If you do consider selling some of the insignia, some collectors like to have provenance attached to the pieces as it validates time in the service, area of service, circumstances as to how the items were obtained and other factors. We always tell folks interested in buying items to "buy the item and not the story" With your grandfather's service attached to the patches it adds a little. It is your choice again whether you want you reveal your grandfathers name but given that he was a commander of a unit it may not be too difficult to determine who he may have been by some research and the decorations he was awarded. Some folks will also request that information occasionally so they can keep the items intact should they ever need to part with them at a later time.

The 9th Airforce patch made of felt also appears to be British made as well as the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagle. Again, some very nice patches that don't often surface and with some provenance to accompany them.

Smitty

Hi Thistle51

Smitty has been 100% correct on his analysis of the patches and his assesment on selling with provenance.

I would also like to add Smitty is one of the good guys of our collecting community and he too looks after our community.

Thanks Smitty for all you do

Phill

US Army Corps

U.S. Division/Unit PatchesU.S. Division/Unit PatchesU.S. Division/Unit PatchesU.S. Division/Unit Patches

What can you guys tell me about this one?

The 8 wheeled TD patch is the early one
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

The last patch that you posted is for the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment.

Looks to be another British made version, and a nice one at that..

Smitty

Phill,

"Smitty has been 100% correct on his analysis of the patches and his assesment on selling with provenance.

I would also like to add Smitty is one of the good guys of our collecting community and he too looks after our community.

Thanks Smitty for all you do"

Phill

************************************************** **************************************

Phill,

I am most humbled by your kind words and I really appreciate them. I love this forum and the community of members here and my passion for military collecting. I only hope that I can pass some knowledge forward and others can appreciate the efforts put forth by the many scholarly members we have.

Thank you again for the humbling and very kind words

Smitty

Hi Team

Tank Destroyer

The earliest TD to my research was a 4 wheel boggie ,TIOH drawings I have is March 1942? and a SSI sheet dated Sept 1943 1/12.

8 wheel bogie was a variation and probably the hardest to manufacture due to the complexity of the design,which caused the needles to break during the schiffli embroidery process.

If we go by the heavilly white backed bobbin thread than yes it is an early made c 1943 period.

Smitty

The 2nd ACR is occupation or post war German made.

You can tell by the wool colour , the use of rayon thread and it was embroidered using the German shellauffer highspeed machinery equivalent of the US schiffli embroidery process.

And your welcome mate.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast