Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

U.S. Division/Unit Patches

Article about: Hello everyone, I have over 100 U.S. and a few other Allied division/unit patches that my Grandfather traded for/ acquired during his service as a Commanding Officer in the U.S. 70th Tank Ba

US Army Divisions

U.S. Division/Unit PatchesU.S. Division/Unit Patches

Who needs a Cactus?

Quote by Thistle51 View Post
    Who needs a Cactus?

I’ll take one! Haha. Very nice group it seams that you have inherited here Thistle! Congratulations!

Phil and/or Smitty, from reading this thread, I’m gathering that patches with black backings tend to be British made is that correct? Or are there other distinguishing points? I’m in the process of learning WWII Army patches and haven’t got around to acquiring and reference books.

205th Infantry Brigade

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    I’ll take one! Haha. Very nice group it seams that you have inherited here Thistle! Congratulations!

Phil and/or Smitty, from reading this thread, I’m gathering that patches with black backings tend to be British made is that correct? Or are there other distinguishing points? I’m in the process of learning WWII Army patches and haven’t got around to acquiring and reference books.
    @08SMLE48..

The short answer is yes, this is one of the distinguishing characteristics of British insignia, there are other identifiers as well, but this one is one of the more common. You will be able to see the differences in weave, sewing techniques, thread use, and a lot of other methods when viewed side by side (US vs foreign made).

There are some very good patch books out there, specifically by the Keller Brothers (Kurt and William) and others. You can see some of the references available in our Library. There is also ASMIC (American Society of Military Insignia Collectors) This is an invaluable research tool as well as knowledge pool with some wonderful people. ASMIC Has a FACEBOOK page as well. The dues are well worth the cost and you will also get a quarterly magazine "The TRADING POST" which is full of information on all kinds of insignia, not just patches..

Dip your toes in the water and see how much fun patch collecting can be..I have been doing it for 50 years now and I still find patches that I need for my collection..

Smitty

36th Engineer Battalion

Is this a civilian patch?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast