Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?

Article about: Need some advice please. I am new to collecting US divisional patches, but would like to start building up a collection of Armor unit patches. I have been reading a few threads on this forum

PJS
    ?

Default US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?

Need some advice please. I am new to collecting US divisional patches, but would like to start building up a collection of Armor unit patches. I have been reading a few threads on this forum and would I be correct in saying this is a post war patch due to the darker green thread around the edge. If this is correct what else should I look for to determine actual world war 2 patches from post war. Thanks.

PhilUS Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?

Hi Phil

WWII Armored Triangles can be extremely tricky due to the fact that every manufacturer made tonnes of them as well as Post WWII for Korean war training units C1948-55 period.
    Here are some tips:
    The thread for WWII is Rayon based from the mid to late 50's onwards polyester thread was introduced and used by most manufatcurers in th 60's.
    • Go for Heavy white backed SSI
    • Go for Green backed SSI these are regarded as early WWII
    • Numbers and letters should be even and blend into the patch same as the reverse
    • Patches should be cut back to the edge for WWII
    • They will be OD Border and not Army Green border(1954 onwards)

Armored School Note the OD Border and how the S on the reverse matches the patch.
    US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps? US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?
    1st AD Green back early WWII
    US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?

3rd AD White backed note Tab occupation period 1946
    US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps? US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?
    8th AD Heavy Whiteback Tab Occupation period 1946
    US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?US Armor patch.....a post war production perhaps?
    8th AD Green backed
    Now you will also come across Wollen AD and other variants
    2nd AD Wool ribbed effect
    14th AD Thick numbered TSGT Ralph Goekceman note the reverse how 14 blends in.

Post WWII Triangles were not cut back to the edge like the one you have shown and c 1954 the Army changed from OD to Army Green uniform
    130th Tank Bn note OD Border the twill not cut right back to the edge
    35th Tank Bn Army Green Border

I would post on the forum first (use ebay images before you buy saves money and time) to get confirmation.

Phill

I forgot to add your 10th AD lilkely a WWII SSI although I would get one cut back to the edge.

Very little had changed with manufacturers from 1944-1954, they used the same schiffli machines , same punch tapes and the same indivduals ran the process.

Phill

PJS
    ?

Thanks heaps Phill. Very informative and the one I posted is an ebay offering. Whilst I am keen to start collecting, I want to make sure before I dig out the Visa card. Even though these items are not expensive, I would prefer to have money in my pocket than waste it on something I don't really want. Thanks again.

Phil

Hi Phil

Dont worry your partner will say its a waste of money anyway!!!

I just use the excuse , but dearest when we retire we can live off my patch collection investment (5$ MACCA deals a day !).

Phill