Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Infantry collar insignia.

Article about: Hi gents, not my field of expertise so i am not sure if the insignia here is orginal or reproduction. From what i know they look like US infantry collar insignia. I was wondering if anyone h

Default US Infantry collar insignia.

Hi gents,

not my field of expertise so i am not sure if the insignia here is orginal or reproduction.
    From what i know they look like US infantry collar insignia.
    I was wondering if anyone here knew what the letters "CRD" stood for ??
    Just trying to help a friend so any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,Martin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Infantry collar insignia.   US Infantry collar insignia.  

I believe the insignia to be modern production. N.S. Meyer was not founded in NY until 1906 and I think the collar insignia are from the Civil war era. Others will know more than I.
    John

Well we know it’s Company D Infantry. Are the collar devices marked? We know who made them, I was curious of the time period.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

It now appears to me to be representing 1896 - 1905 based on the rifle presented in the insignia. WWI insignia had the 1903 rifle depicted in the insignia. Span Am war appears most likely. Meyer's was not making insignia at this time.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 06-02-2021 at 12:21 PM.

MAP
    ?

Are there any hallmarks on the back of the insignia. N.S. Meyers were a prolific maker of insignia and their hallmarks can (generally) be dated.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

There is a shield maker mark on one of the rifle butts.
    Thanks for all your help and comments.US Infantry collar insignia.

Cheers,Martin.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Martin.

That would put the manufacture around the 1940's. The sketch in the photo doesn't show the raised lines on the shield but it is correct.

That said, this sketch is out of date but it gives a ball park.

US Infantry collar insignia.

If you can view this link on the US Military Forum, there is some good information as well as a re-direct to a link on WAF.

N.S. Meyer - Page 2 - HALLMARKS [REF] - U.S. Militaria Forum
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Terrific !!

Thanks for all your help guys.
    Still wish we knew wat the "CR" stood for.

Cheers,Martin.

?

My guess would be its for a military school

Martin,

There is a similar image of this type of insignia in Leon Laframboise Book "History of the Artillery Cavalry and Infantry Branch of Service Insignia". The image shows a "C" for C Company but the rest of the insignia is identical.

This is identified as Colorado Organized Reserve

I knew Leon when he wrote his 3 volume set of Branch of Service Insignia and he was one of the most well known authorities on US Collar brass and insignia. Before his books there was very little written. Since then other authors like Scipio and Emerson have taken over where Leon left off and have significantly contributed to identifying US collar brass and collar insignia. I have looked through my other reference material but Leon's book is the only one that shows a similar insignia.

Best regards,

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Infantry collar insignia.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast