Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US Navy PT Boat pin

Article about: I have had this for some time and don't recall how I came by it other than it did come to me from the US. Often misinterpreted by collectors as a qualification clasp probably because of its'

Default US Navy PT Boat pin

I have had this for some time and don't recall how I came by it other than it did come to me from the US.

Often misinterpreted by collectors as a qualification clasp probably because of its' similarity in configuration to the "wing" badges of the US Airforce, it is not an officially sanctioned or issued piece to be worn on uniform although from period photographs it does seem to have been worn on uniform not only in the "tie pin" style for which it was intended but also on the left breast of uniforms in the style of a qualification wing.

As I understand it these pins were given by PT Boat builders to the commisioning crews of boats built around 1940 - 42(?). The earliest MTB or Motor Torpedo Boats were built in UK for the Royal Navy (WWI) and the concept was taken up by the USN with some British MTB being taken on as prototypes for the sucessful US PTB programme. Some PT boats /MTB were built in the US by both US and UK shipbuilders (Vosper of Portsmouth under licence) and subsequently used by The British, Canadian, Norwegian and Soviet navies.

The pins bore the company name on the bow. EG Elco or in this case Vosper whilst others had a number (I don't know what that represented).

Vosper went on to become Vosper Thornycroft then via BAE Systems to Babcock International and a US element which had absorbed a number of US shipbuilders as part of the VT Group is now owned by the US Jordan Company.

Anyway, this pin whilst not being an official military badge albeit worn by serving personell in uniform is a symbol of a fantastically successful concept in naval architecture.

It is not marked as silver but the appearance, texture and patina of the metal suggests to me either sterling silver or an alloy with a very high silver content.
    it weighs 14g or 3/8oz and is 66mm / 2.5 inches long

Service issue or not I like it as a real piece of history.

I am sure even these have been copied but everything about this one seems right, although I would be grateful for any opinions from anyone who knows more about these than I do

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Navy PT Boat pin   US Navy PT Boat pin  

US Navy PT Boat pin  
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-23-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Watchdog
    I agree with your analysis of these pins. The detail on yours is superb!
    Perhaps it is my own ignorance, but if this were in fact a tie clip (like all of these are SUPPOSED to be), wouldn’t it have a tie clip type clip of the back? (Sorry for the wording)

MAP
    ?

Don't know anything about these but agree it's a great looking piece!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is a nice pin. One of the greatest men I knew was Mickey Finn of the PT130.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    Watchdog
    I agree with your analysis of these pins. The detail on yours is superb!
    Perhaps it is my own ignorance, but if this were in fact a tie clip (like all of these are SUPPOSED to be), wouldn’t it have a tie clip type clip of the back? (Sorry for the wording)
    Yes that is quite right and these badges were also made with the "tie clip" fastener. Why the difference I have no idea and I only have this one example. Hopefully somebody here might come accross an answer?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    It is a nice pin. One of the greatest men I knew was Mickey Finn of the PT130.

Marty
    JFK also was a PT Boat commander in the Pacific I believe.

Regards
    Mark

Watchdog

I recently got a four volume set on us navy uniforms and insignia. I’m sure one of the books has an answer. I’m in the middle of moving right now so i do not have access to my library. When i do, I’ll give it a look for you

Here are the experts from my new book. Not a lot, but there it is. Sorry the pictures are sideways. Credit for the information goes to “US Navy Uniforms in Word War II Series” by Jeff Warner

US Navy PT Boat pinUS Navy PT Boat pinUS Navy PT Boat pin

Quote by Eagle mtn View Post
    Here are the experts from my new book. Not a lot, but there it is. Sorry the pictures are sideways. Credit for the information goes to “US Navy Uniforms in Word War II Series” by Jeff Warner
    Here Mate I fixed them up for ya.