Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.

Article about: Hello all, Here are some USAF, USMC items, which are USMC Air Crew combat badge with three gold stars, two USAF enlisted men flying personnel badges, USAF shoulder emblem and USAF senior nav

Default USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.

Hello all,

Here are some USAF, USMC items, which are USMC Air Crew combat badge with three gold stars, two USAF enlisted men flying personnel badges, USAF shoulder emblem and USAF senior navigator wings, correct me if I am wrong.

Could these be attributed to any time period/conflict according to manufacturers' marks, material, shape, colors etc.?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Better pictures can be provided.

Thanks,
    Constantine.

USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.

You are correct with the air crew wings except they are not exclusively USMC. They are naval air crew wings so would be worn by sailors or Marines. Since they are sterling and have the single broach pin I would put them pre mid 50s. I can’t help with the USAF stuff. Others should chime in and provide you more information

08SMLE48,

Thank you very much for your reply. Could these three golden stars be only awarded in Korea, or it may be an after WWII private purchase?

The top aircrew wing is most likely from the 40’s. Luckily, the bottom one is made by NS Meyer, so we can get more specific. I can’t tell from the picture, but if the marking is recessed it is from the 1930’s-1943 period. If the marking is raised, that would put it in the 1943 to about 1950 range.

Quote by Constantine View Post
    08SMLE48,

Thank you very much for your reply. Could these three golden stars be only awarded in Korea, or it may be an after WWII private purchase?
    The gold stars are awarded for combat missions. One gold star for every combat mission. Once an aviator had been on more than three he would be awarded a silver combat star. I believe that the regulation for this has remained unchanged since these were introduced in 1943 (but I’m sure someone with more knowledge could prove me wrong).

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Eagle mtn; 12-30-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Eagle mtn, thank you very much. The marking on Meyer badge is raised.

Quote by Constantine View Post
    Eagle mtn, thank you very much. The marking on Meyer badge is raised.
    Very cool! I would be willing to bet its late wwii then.

Correction to what I originally stated. You are right the aircrew wings are USMC specific and for combat aircrews.

?

A quick reference chart of Meyers hallmarks over the years...

USAF and USMC items. Attribution needed.

I would place the H&H aircrew at WWII...H&H had largely begun adding their "SER" contract number on insignia by the 50s

?

Your aircrew combat wings are marked H&H along with sterling. I would say that they are WWII Navy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast