Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

? USN Submariner "Dolphins"

Article about: Can anyone shed light on this item for me please? It came along with some other items of US kit and I initially took it as being a USN Submarine crewmans "Dolphins" but the profile

Default ? USN Submariner "Dolphins"

Can anyone shed light on this item for me please?

It came along with some other items of US kit and I initially took it as being a USN Submarine crewmans "Dolphins" but the profile of the submarine bow looks very different from what I recognise as usual. It is quite rounded and bulbous whereas the more usual style is sharp and angular. The only type I have seen similar to this is an Australian made variant.

There is no maker mark and it is marked SILVER (not Sterling) but it clearly is plated brass as can be seen from the yellow colour of the metal where the high points have worn.

It does occur to me that it could be something picked up by a sailor in a market in a foreign port visited by USN vessels?

I have no particulaly strong feelings about this piece as it is a kind of "also ran" but I would like to know just what it is. It has apparent age to it which really does not look contrived.

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards

Mark

? USN Submariner "Dolphins"? USN Submariner "Dolphins"? USN Submariner "Dolphins"
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-23-2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It's hard to say what period it is from. I cannot comment on the authenticity of it, but I can say that during WWII only officers were allowed to wear the actual pin. Enlisted submarine crewmen wore a sewn-on patch that had the same design. The officer ones were gold colored, so that may say something on the brass plating on yours.

Just bumping this as I still can't find an answer.

To recap; The shape of the submarines bow is very different from any US clasp I have seen.

It is marked silver (not sterling) though it clearly is not silver but a silver plated brass item.

I don't think it is from any of the major navies of the world but if it is a genuine item I am inclined to think from the basic design that it is from a country that has been influenced by US designs/patterns in their uniforms etc.

This is more of an irritation now than anything else as every time I see it I start to scratch my head again and I don't know where or whether it belongs in my collection or the junk box.

I would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark my best best guess is a pre-war pin. I believe the type of catch will be the link to date it. Some of them looked crude on the back but the details on the front are nice. There seems to be some discrepancy on what era enlisted personnel were allowed to wear the silver color pin. I think was an enlisted mans pin to be worn on the dress uniform. There will be some disagreement in my comment.
    John

?

So I was thinking sub service type device,
    But after looking into this,
    It is a Submarine Warfare pin.
    Is it the real deal, That I do not know.

Semper Fi
    Phil

The pin on this one has me thinking post war. The general look is Asian to me.