Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster

Article about: Hi everyone: I have this WWII dress jacket, 3rd army, QuarterMaster Corps. But I doubt if the collar disc insignia is from the WWII era. I see them very "new". I doubt the back of

Default HELP ORIGINAL WWII ERA? us collar disc quartermaster

Hi everyone:
    I have this WWII dress jacket, 3rd army, QuarterMaster Corps. But I doubt if the collar disc insignia is from the WWII era.

I see them very "new".
    I doubt the back of the Quartermaster disk, because of that "orange" color, but also because of the US disc.
    The Ballou clutches are original.

What do you think?
    Thank you very much for your help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster   Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster  

Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster   Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster  

Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster   Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster  

Last edited by javimetal; 10-21-2020 at 08:07 PM.

?

hello

take a look here:
    Dating Metallic Insignia: Clutch Fasteners

cordially
    Didier

Thanks for the answer and the link, very interesting.
    I know that Ballou clutches are original from WWII era.
    But I have doubts about the collar disks, looking at the back. (The colour"orange and yellow" clutch posts and the WWII disks that I know of are colour "gray")
    I can't find matches and I might think they are post-war and added to the uniform ...
    Last edited by javimetal; 10-22-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Javimetal,

You don't need to be concerned about the collar brass. They are WW2 era..

Your collar brass are WW2 era stamped 1 piece collar brass. The attachment device that has the 2 prongs (i.e. the metal strip) came in various materials (brass was one of them as well as manganese which would be the grey colored metal you mentioned).

Manufacturers used what was on hand and which was deemed scrap metal by the war production boards. Brass was primarily used in the production of cartridges for bullets but as the war progressed and more brass was produced it was utilized in other areas, i.e. the production of collar brass and insignia. Manganese was also one of those metals that was used in variety of ways and the scrap manganese that could not be used for helmet rims and other uses was also used for the backing materials that you mentioned in collar brass..

It was not uncommon to see both the brass and manganese backings on collar brass.

The examples I have posted are all WW2 era with the different type of brass and manganese backings. The Infantry cross rifles (only the back side shown) is from a WW2 6th Armored Division uniform and the three other collar brass (The US collar brass is from a WW2 Women's WAC Uniform assigned to the Air Corps), the Army Air Corps collar brass is from a China, Burma, India 4 Pocket uniform and the Ordnance collar brass was just an example from my WW2 collar brass collection.. So you can clearly see that there were many different variants used during WW2 in regards to collar brass..

I also added 2 additional photos of two different US Collar brass with solid manganese backs. The first is from the 6th Armored Division uniform that the crossed rifles (Infantry) was on. You may also notice the cracks on what appears to be the brass.. This is actually a varnish of some type that was applied. Maybe to preserve and cause tarnishing, I am not sure.. and the second US collar brass was from the WAC uniform..

So this also shows that there was not uniformity in regards to matching collar brass sets, IN many cases the collar brass may have been mixed as multiple pairs were sometimes issued and when lost many times the collar brass was not "paired" after the loss or damage to one or the other..

Hope this helps and reassures you that the collar brass on your uniform is most assuredly WW2 era..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster   Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster  

Attached Images Attached Images Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster  Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster  Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster  Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster  Wwii original us collar disc quartermaster 

Thank you for all the info and photos
    I'm glad both collar discs are WWII originals.

?

great, items.