Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this dagger Italian?

Article about: Just wondering if I could get some opinions on this dagger I have. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

?

Default Is this dagger Italian?

Just wondering if I could get some opinions on this dagger I have. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.Is this dagger Italian?Is this dagger Italian?Is this dagger Italian?Is this dagger Italian?Is this dagger Italian?Is this dagger Italian?Is this dagger Italian?Is this dagger Italian?Is this dagger Italian?

There are lots of very similar daggers on the net that are said to be Italian fascist youth daggers!...

?

As usual your a big help, thanks a million.

Hi Philly, These have been called Italian GIL or youth daggers by dealers but there is no proof or period photo evidence and it is heavily in doubt, as of late many have come to the conclusion they were put together with left over parts post war and sold to souvenier hungry GI's, some have red or green plastic eyes and some plain, they do vary but not by much, price point is around 200-250.

?

Yes , its a G.I.L. ( Gioventu Italiana Del Littorio ) youth leaders dagger . The G.I.L. was an Italian fascist youth organisation . There are many examples of this kind of dagger out there that were brought back by occupying servicemen and these were made up by local artisans from cut down sword hilts and blades and looked very similar but yours looks original . The eagle head pommel probably had two red or green coloured glass beads as eyes which have been lost to time . Also a bit of plating loss to the blade tip , but still a nice example !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Thank you for the info, I remember it having 1 of the red eyes when I was little. This dagger was my grandpas