Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Italian Dog Tag

Article about: Hello, Could somebody maybe help me out with this Italian dog tag???? What does the address with (California) mean is it in the US or in Italy???? If anybody can do some research on the guy

?

Default Italian Dog Tag

Hello,
    Could somebody maybe help me out with this Italian dog tag???? What does the address with (California) mean is it in the US or in Italy???? If anybody can do some research on the guy it belonged to would appreciate it aswell.

9374 (79) C
    Barbero Giorgio
    Di Leonello E
    Longer Angeolina
    Cl. 1918
    S. Matteo
    (California)

Also sorry if the picture is bad I don’t have a better one.

Best regards.
    - Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Dog Tag  

(79) is the number of the Mondovì district (Piedmont, North Italy).
    Barbero is a tipical family name from this zone.

?

Ok i see, so its not a US adress... I got confused with that California city / district on the tag guess that is or was in that area.

Thank you very much.
    - Ben

Morning,
    what kanister said is correct, but the place indicated on the plate is that of birth, I believe it actually refers to "San Mateo County", a place located in the San Francisco Bay area.
    It is probably the son of an emigrant who later returned to Italy, a fact that often happened; for example: I own a dog tag mod. 32 of an Italian soldier born in Paris.

Regards
    Roberto

?

I, too, have such examples: a Great War Austrian tag with a UK address, and Wehrpass to a fella born in New York. These are interesting snippets of social history.
    Nice find!

?

Kanister, Kohima and Roberto,
    Thank you guys soo much you have no idea how happy that makes me… I also have a German ww1 tag with Swiss adress, I was hoping for exactly that US adress on Italian tag… amazing item.

I know know who to ask in Italian tags… so will probably ask again next time

Best regards.
    - Ben
    Last edited by byBen; 06-06-2022 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Inclusion of other member

?

Extremely cool follow up:

I found his obituary which tells his story born in the US left and went back to Italy etc… thought I share it, it’s an amazing story.

Also maybe someone could tell me about the list that matches the numbers on the tags (like this 79) to a specific district in Italy?????

- Ben
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Dog Tag   Italian Dog Tag  

Italian Dog Tag  
    Attached Images Attached Images Italian Dog Tag 

Quote by byBen View Post

Also maybe someone could tell me about the list that matches the numbers on the tags (like this 79) to a specific district in Italy?????
    Italian Dog Tag