Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Italian WW2 Canteens

Article about: Morning everyone, It seemed a good idea to write about this "humble" but important equipment of the Regio Esercito soldiers, used on all War fronts. I have not seen around much doc

Default Italian WW2 Canteens

Morning everyone,
    It seemed a good idea to write about this "humble" but important equipment of the Regio Esercito soldiers, used on all War fronts.
    I have not seen around much documentation about it, and everything is complicated by the fact that three different models were developed in just a few years and all three were used during WW2.
    The examples covered by this thread are all original examples belonged to War Veterans, in the regular version for "Infantry and all Troops on foot", of 1 liter capacity and covered with gray-green flannel used by the Army.
    However they also exist: 2L larger version for the Alpine Troops, and some tropical examples covered with khaki flannel.

Thanks for looking
    Roberto

From left to right: M1930, M1933, M1935.
    Italian WW2 Canteens

M 1930 "Infantry version"
    Italian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 Canteens

M 1933 "Army unified model"

M1935 "Army unified model"
    Italian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 Canteens

In particular, Mod. 1935 was produced by many manufacturers who sometimes used slightly different materials and accessories, for example to notice the different qualities of gray-green flannel.

Italian WW2 Canteens

M 1935 caps examples

Italian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 Canteens

Examples of Mod. 1935 canvas straps that could have an adjustable aluminum buckle or not.

Italian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 CanteensItalian WW2 Canteens

?

Nice canteens. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

MAP
    ?

Fantastic thread Roberto! Great photos. Personally, I have never seen one of these before. I guess not that many made it over in the GI duffel bags.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Roberto, many thanks for great thread!
    Canteens - are my main interest, and it was very interesting for me to read this.
    Could you tell me what are the differences between the M1933 and M1935 models?
    Only in the "bracket" on the body, to which the strap is attached?

P.S. An excellent description of Italian canteens is in the magazine "Uniformi & Armi" № 202/203, but unfortunately I do not read very well in Italian.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Fantastic thread Roberto! Great photos. Personally, I have never seen one of these before. I guess not that many made it over in the GI duffel bags.
    I agree Michael, surely as a war trophy for a GI it was better to bring home a helmet, a dagger or a Beretta M34 !!
    Also for this I thought it was useful to open a thread on this topic.

Roberto

Quote by dimmuborgir95 View Post
    Roberto, many thanks for great thread!
    Canteens - are my main interest, and it was very interesting for me to read this.
    Could you tell me what are the differences between the M1933 and M1935 models?
    Only in the "bracket" on the body, to which the strap is attached?

P.S. An excellent description of Italian canteens is in the magazine "Uniformi & Armi" № 202/203, but unfortunately I do not read very well in Italian.
    Hi, thanks for your comment
    the aluminum body of Mod.1933 and Mod.1935 was practically the same; unlike the body of Mod.1930, they had four vertical ribs on the convex side which made them stronger, and had the flat bottom to support them vertically.
    The real difference between M33 and M35 was the strap and consequently its brackets on the body.
    -Mod. 1933: very good quality strap, for appearance and texture was very similar to those used on German gas masks container M30 and M38; it was fitted with an adjustable steel buckle and a fast-release hook at one of the ends.
    -Mod. 1935 was virtually a simplified version: non-removable canvas strap, fitted with adjustable aluminum buckle, but many examples of war economy were not present; also the canvas used for the strap was of poor quality.
    M1930 and M1933 are fairly rare to be found in good condition, while the M1935 are still quite common, but you have to be very careful about the insidious postwar version used until the 1970s; It is practically the same as the M1935, but has a khaki flannel and an adjustable chromed steel buckle; when I get one example in my hands I add it to this thread.
    I confirm that the description made on "Uniformi & Armi" is a great work, i think U&A has been the best Italian militaria magazine, in my opinion, I'm sorry that it is not printed anymore.

Regards
    Roberto

M1935 (left), M1933 (right) for comparison.
    Italian WW2 Canteens

M1935 details

M1933 details
    Last edited by OldSteel; 07-16-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add photos

but you have to be very careful about the insidious postwar version used until the 1970s; It is practically the same as the M1935, but has a khaki flannel and an adjustable chromed steel buckle
    Thanks!
    If I correctly understand, all M1935 canteens with aluminum cup also can be considered post-war?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast