Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

2021 Finds: A Year In Review

Article about: 2021 was a good year in my opinion for finds. I was able to find quite a bit of Imperial Japanese Collectables. So it got me wondering what interesting stuff did everyone else find? To start

?

One of the more unusual items I was able to add to the collection this year is a variant issue booklet used by a member of the Imperial Guard, with first entry dated Meiji 41 (1908). For more information on these booklets, please check out post #16 of Nick's excellent write up on IJA passbooks. Standard booklet is on the left, and the variant is pictured on the right. These do not pop up all that often, so I was very excited to add it to the collection.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2021 Finds: A Year In Review   2021 Finds: A Year In Review  

Default Some finds this year, sake cups, botles and vases

This last year have been a good year when it comes to finding stuff for my collection. Lots of interresting things have surfaced and it has sometimes been difficult to not buy to much. :-)
    I try to focuse on sake cups and botles but aviation related items are always interresting.
    Here are some that i have picked out.

First is a couple of Mitsubishi commemoratives gifted by the army minister.
    A paperweight gifted to somone att the Mitsubishi airplane engine factory.
    A vase gifted to someone at the Mitshubishi aircraft corporation.

And my softspot for horses. A couple of jumping horses is never wrong.

Very rare to find carved sake bottles and figure shaped ones.
    I have posted the bottle commemoraing the 3 human bombs from the Shanghai incident before.

?

Excellent finds everyone.
    Here is this canteen. It is my only Japanese item.
    I belive it is 1920s or 30s because of the 1920 paint and 1922 version harness. However, It is before the switch to the larger canteen size. Though I am not quite sure about this. I might start a separate thread for this canteen, to not clutter this thread with questions.
    Just thought I'd show it here.

Regards,
    Daniel

Nice collection!

?

Hello. all great and desirable items, especially ABN! My pickups, a battle scarred type 99 and a cookie tin full of medals. I hope we all find more in 22. Best, Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2021 Finds: A Year In Review   2021 Finds: A Year In Review  

MAP
    ?

Some really neat and unique items gents.

I really haven't collected anything Japanese over the last few years, but do enjoy this area of the hobby so great to see all these items
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Some really neat and unique items gents.

I really haven't collected anything Japanese over the last few years, but do enjoy this area of the hobby so great to see all these items
    I'm sure this doesn't count.......LoL. But it does have to do with Nagasaki and is dated 1944

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Rod
    ?

It's great to see everyone else's finds here and proof there's still lots waiting to be picked up. Great battle damaged Type 99! My two cents worth is quite possibly the only item I added to my collection this year.

This Techo appeared from the realm of "stuff I almost never seem to find" and arrived just before Christmas. It contains the extant details of Lance Corporal 岩田 Iwata 窿 Ryū (unsure of the pronunciation Ryū [Dragon] for this kanji) service to country between December 10, 1939 and January 22, 1943.

Conscripted into the 3rd Divisional District's 6th Infantry Regiment Replacement Unit, 5th Company on December 10, 1939, and placed in the 228th Infantry Regiment's 6th Company (38th Division) on March 14, 1940.

April 1, 1940 landed in China, and by September 15th he'd made Superior Private.
    December 9th, techo states he "crossed the British border", i.e., participated in the invasion of Hong Kong.

January 11, 1942, the 38th Division joined the 16th Army for the invasions of Ambon (January 31st) and Timor (February 17th), which Superior Private Iwata participated in.
    September 12th, stop over on Java
    October 3rd, joined the 17th Army
    October 13th, arrived at Bismarck Archipelago
    October 15th, Rabaul
    October 16th, landed on Bougainville
    November 6th, landed at Tassafaronga, Guadalcanal
    December 10th, promoted to Lance Corporal
    January 22nd, whereabouts unknown in the Mount Austin/Gifu area.
    April 20th, KIA confirmation

2021 Finds: A Year In Review   2021 Finds: A Year In Review  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2