Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru

Article about: Hello and Greetings: I am posting pictures of two additional Yosegaki Hinomaru that have been made available. I would appreciate any feedback as to any translations and the authenticity of b

?

Default Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru

Hello and Greetings: I am posting pictures of two additional Yosegaki Hinomaru that have been made available. I would appreciate any feedback as to any translations and the authenticity of both flags. If I obtain either flag then I will be able to provide better pictures. Thank you!
    1. First Flag:

2. Second Flag:

Of the 3 you showed in total, I have most confidence in the first. The second one with a shrine stamp from Imamiya Shrine in Kyoto is a bit worrisome, as their current stamp shown below is supposedly identical to what they were using 75 years ago (normally a slight variance is noticeable, due to new stamps coming into use postwar).

I did not bother with the last one as photos are all upside down and the Chinese mumbo jumbo that begins the writing is not exactly convincing.

All photos are either too close or too small for proper authentication.

PS: The Chinese poem turned out to be legit from the civil war of October 1873, but some details still nag me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Additional Yosegaki Hinomaru  

?

Thank you Nick Komiya! So the first flag that I posted, separately, with the drawing of the face, is the one of the three that is most likely authentic?

My apologies if I submitted the pictures of the last flag with the images not in the correct position. I have rotated some of them 180 degrees and am posting below. If you have the opportunity to review, that would be appreciated. I note that you stated that there is Chinese writing on this flag. Does that make it suspect?
    Regards, Bobby

Yes, the flag with the caricature is what I'm most comfortable with. The point about the Chinese poem I have already addressed in the postscript. The other two flags may still be OK, but are not one-lookers that can be satisfactorily authenticated on the basis of the poor photos provided.

It is most MOST helpful to photo the flag at high resolution and send a single image. We can download and up-size it. As you're doing it, it becomes a jugsaw puzzle and I avoid those like the COVID ... I mean, "like the plague."

- Guy

?

Thank you for your review of the flags. The pictures that I have were not taken by me. I shall be more vigilant in requesting better images in the future.

?

Thank you Guy. I will try to obtain better quality images. Unfortunately, with the advent of cell phone cameras, I beiieve that the photographic quality has declined.

Quote by Bobby View Post
    ... I note that you stated that there is Chinese writing on this flag. Does that make it suspect?
    No, not suspect: "Kanbun." Poems/songs are still written in classic Chinese.

Here's a wiki article about Kanbun.

-- Guy

?

Thank you Guy. As the Chinese and Japanese governments were not what I would call friendly during the war, I was concerned how Chinese writing would find its way onto Yosegaki Hinomaru. Are you able to translate either the Kanji or the Kanbun?
    Regards,
    Bobby

Bobby, I'm afraid the poem is well beyond my limited capabilities. If anyone could de-cypher it, it would be Nick .... were he willing.

-- Guy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast