Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another photo of the Japanese Army M1918 helmet

Article about: I found a good photo of the Japanese M1918 helmet in a Japanese military magazine (published in the 1992). This helmet was used in the field by the engineers in September 1917. I was surpris

Post Another photo of the Japanese Army M1918 helmet

I found a good photo of the Japanese M1918 helmet in a Japanese military magazine (published in the 1992). This helmet was used in the field by the engineers in September 1917. I was surprised that this helmet still exists after the WW2. Looking at this picture, I thought this helmet was a cute and well-designed helmet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another photo of the Japanese Army M1918 helmet   Another photo of the Japanese Army M1918 helmet  

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for the great photos.

Thank you for your reply, I'm very happy to be able to participate in this forum.

I have one more question. I found a photo of the type 38 rifle in a Japanese gun magazine (終戦70周年特別企画『三八式歩兵銃 日本陸軍』). The receiver part of this rifle is a Type 44 carbine, and the barrel is a rebored version of the Type 38 rifle to 7.7 mm. "For steelworks(製鋼所用)" is written on both sides of the stock of this rifle, and the stock has traces of damage and repair. In post 31 of "Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version", Nick mentions that a 7.7mm rebored Type 38 rifle was used to personal armor project. Was the rifle in this photo used in the test?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another photo of the Japanese Army M1918 helmet  

That rifle was indeed used by the steel works to test bullet-proofing of their products, but not for steel helmets, but for heavier duty armour shields 防楯.
    I wrote up a new segment in the helmet addendum thread to discuss this and provide source material here.

Thank you for writing the new segment.
    The impact test result of the helmet is interesting.