Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another unusual sword

Article about: Hello all, This must be the week of unusual swords for me. This one is in very bad shape and WAY over priced. If this is an original sword... I’m assuming (If real) it’s a very late war.

Default Another unusual sword

Hello all,

This must be the week of unusual swords for me. This one is in very bad shape and WAY over priced. If this is an original sword... I’m assuming (If real) it’s a very late war. I’m leaning towards a repro. The handle is trashed... the fittings look cheap... the habaki looks weird? The seller stated he bought from a pawn shop and insisting it’s a type 95... nope!

Sorry... no tang pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another unusual sword   Another unusual sword  

Another unusual sword   Another unusual sword  

Another unusual sword   Another unusual sword  

?

There are basically two versions of these swords in my opinion, a plain version and a decorative version. Look at the shape of the pommel fitting between the two versions and one can see that they are the same. One is plain while the other is engraved.

The sword pictured above could have been intended for Chinese puppet troops of the Reorganized National Government of the Republic of China 中華民國國民政府. It has plain fittings and used the same color hilt wrapping as the later 應 [emergency] version.
    ww2 sword?

A very similar sword, but more decorative, was possibly intended for Japanese officer use and has an encircled 應 stamped on the blade. At least one Japanese unit stationed in China reported having 32 of these swords [應刀] at the end of the war.
    2nd sword what is it???

In the United States, the Japanese version is the most common of the two.
    Last edited by Kiipu; 09-11-2021 at 07:28 PM.

?

Can you please check the link? It isn't working.

?

Quote by RussM View Post
    Can you please check the link? It isn't working.
    Fixed. Refresh your browser and try again.

?

If possible, a better picture of the pommel fitting would be helpful to confirm the identity of the sword.

Thank you Kiipu for the informative reply! The sword is in pretty bad condition and I was leaning towards a Chinese fake. I’m glad I posted here because I had no idea. Definitely not worth the $1000.00 he asking for it.

I wasn’t planning on purchasing this sword..I just found it very interesting and something I haven’t seen. At least I know what it is now... so thank you once again!

D

Wonder if that's cosmoline on the blade or just old grease? Cosmoline would add some weight to it being legit.

Kiipu,

Here’s the pic you requested... looks like it’s the plain model.

I feel bad for the seller... he purchased the sword at a pawn shop and they told him it’s an original WW2 sword (Which it most likely is). The price listed was $895.00 and that’s what he paid for it. Now he’s trying to sell for what he paid. In my opinion, it’s not in the greatest of shape for that price...

D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another unusual sword   Another unusual sword  

?

The pommel (kabutogane) looks slightly different than the others. Hard to tell at this point in time. It seems a variety of swords came back that were made outside of Japan.

Similar to the one discussed here: Emergency Late War Officer Gunto - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

Any chance of asking the seller if there is a round stamp on the blade near the habaki?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast