Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Any Japanese Blade experts here?

Article about: I bought this Blade today at an antique store. Some idiot polished it with a buffing wheel, but it looks like it could be worth having it professionally repolished, because it is definitely

Seanpmc1
    ?

Default Any Japanese Blade experts here?

I bought this Blade today at an antique store. Some idiot polished it with a buffing wheel, but it looks like it could be worth having it professionally repolished, because it is definitely an original folded-steel blade. Even with the nearly "mirror" buffing it recieved, the grain is very obvious.

Although I don't know much about Japanese Blades, I do know this is not just a cut down NCO sword. My Grandpa has a "Type 98" that he brought home from the war, and while it has the Rayskin and cord wrapping, it is not a folded steel blade.

The Nakago has been cut off just past the Mekugi hole, so only part of the signature is left. I'm not sure if this blade was modified here in the US, or done in Japan. I would say the buffing was done by the antique dealer, but I don't see any reason why anyone would have cut off the back of the Nakago.

Can anybody tell me what I have, and whether its worth paying to have it professionally polished?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any Japanese Blade experts here?   Any Japanese Blade experts here?  

Any Japanese Blade experts here?   Any Japanese Blade experts here?  

Any Japanese Blade experts here?   Any Japanese Blade experts here?  

?

Default Re: Any Japanese Blade experts here?

looks like Wakizashi with hitatsura (full temper) blade, nice!

Seanpmc1
    ?

I joined an Antique blade forum, and they seem to think it is a Chinese made copy. I don't know for sure yet, because if it is, its far higher quality than any other chinese copy I've seen.

Regardless, this one is real pattern-welded steel, and that was my main interest in it. I've been studying pattern welding, and am beginning to collect the materials and equipment needed to start bladesmithing. I have been "retired" prematurely for health reasons, and since I have spent most of my life in the specialized metal fabrication field, this is something I can do for a hobby.

?

It is a Chinese made copy. The folds in the steel are acid etched. It was created to decieve and defraud unknowing beginning collectors. It isn't worth the steel, which is poor quality also, it is made of. The storage scabbard is a piece of junk too. You have been taken sir. Sorry. Hope this answers your question.
    Steve

Seanpmc1
    ?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    The folds in the steel are acid etched.
    The quality may be poor, but it is real folded steel; not just an etched design.

Since I found out it was a chinese copy, I spent most of this afternoon stoning an unfinished area of the Nakago. I rough stoned an area to get a slight angle, then hand polished that section in steps all the way up to 1500 grit paper. The layers are there.

It may be made of old car springs or something, but it is pattern welded steel. A friend of mine has already offered more than I gave for it, and he knows that it is a forgery, so I'm not going to lose any money on it.

?

I am glad that you are not going to be out on it.
    If you want to lamenate steel for blades I would suggest you get an automatic drop forge. I would also suggest that you look around to a trade school and take some basic black smithing or metal working classes. You will learn the skills necessary and get a chance to try your hand at forging lamenated steel. No easy feat. The one thing I would tell you to do is get the best set of sound suppressors you can find to avoid permanent ear damage.
    Damascas style steel making is a physically arduous task. That is the reason that it is always expensive.
    Yes I have been around several black smiths over the years.
    Steve

I will take a position in the minority and suggest that this is a genuine Japanese blade that has suffered from poor care.
    The blade appears to have been cleaned with acid, which will give a similar look to the non laminated blades coming out of China. There was a fellow in Chicago who did this to a number of blades many years ago with the same appearance being the result. The poor shortening of the nakago gives the blade an overall clumsy shape and is not something worth investing the cost of polish.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.