Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4

Article about: Hi All, This is Number 4 Sword. At the risk of being boring, I have simply copied the original request and detail from the first thread in order to keep it simple (for me). This sword is ver

Hi Alan, Thank you for your messages and appologies for any damage to your eyesight!!! I am impressed with all the information coming out from you and all the other sword men. However, I have one small problem, I am not familliar with the terminology nor the nomenclature of Japanese swords so I am having to try and second guess what everyone is talking about. Please pardon my ignorance. I have just had a sudden thought, I'll Google Japanese swords. Now, why did I not think of that earlier? Plonker!!!

Anyway thank you for all your help and interest in these threads Best wishes Michael

Hi Bob, Thank you for your messages and information. All the guys on these threads are so knowledgeable on these swords and it is impressive reading. When it comes to signatures anything up to 300 years old and being able or even capable of not only translating them but also tieing the to specific personalities! Well I find it mind blowing and greatly appreciated.
    Thank you once again Michael

Hi Stu, Thank you for your message and additional information on the mounts etc. As requested, I will also make some measurements as well as taking more pictures in the morning.

This is all excellent, nay brilliant information, not only for me, but also for anyone who views these threads!!! Please keep it coming.

Thank you. Regards and best wishes Michael

?

Hello Michael,

Terminology can be daunting at first. This link will take you to a portion of a site where you can view a Japanese sword visual glossary.

JAPANESE SWORD VISUAL GLOSSARY

Regards,
    Stu

?

Photo Credit - Dr. Richard Stein's Japanese Sword Guide.

Regards,
    Stu

Hi Gentlemen, As requested, more photos of the blade and tang. In order to make the tang markings more ledgeable, I have added some chalk which I hope will not do any damage?? Your comments would be appreciated as always!!
    Cheers once again Michael R

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4

PS Sorry about the orientation -- I forgot!!!

?

If I am reading the tape correctly your cutting edge is just over 20 inches so definitely wakizashi.

Length of tsuka (handle)?

Regards,
    Stu

Hi Stu, Thank you for your message. I have taken some more photos and attach them herewith. If these do not give you sufficient information, please do not hesitate to chase me!!!
    Cheers MR

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 4

?

My standard Type 98 tsuka all run about 10" in length. My pilot/tanker tsuka is a shade under 9. Yours appears to be about 10.5 so probably from a Type 98. Either way it's a fine piece and within an acceptable range. I am also impressed with the quality of the tsuba.

Regards,
    Stu

?

... and while I have a moment ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast