Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō

Article about: A WWII era Shin guntō - I believe the tang is marked Masamune (this was discussed a few weeks ago before I took possession). The sword is not complete and I will be searching for a fuch

Default Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō

A WWII era Shin guntō - I believe the tang is marked Masamune (this was discussed a few weeks ago before I took possession). The sword is not complete and I will be searching for a fuchi!
    I would appreciate any assistance in dating the weapon if at all possible. I can't see any sign of a showa era stamp. The Masamune stamp itself is hard for me to comprehend - Perhaps it is a more modern factory/smith using the famous name; I realise the great smith had many students but surely the signature should have another name attached it? In any case any ideas or info on this weapon will be much appreciated.
    The very best!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō   Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō  

Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō   Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō  

Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō   Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō  

Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō  

It is a Showa era blade. It is not the famous Masamune of the Nambokucho period. He never signed his blades.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Chris,

What's that just beside the mekugi ana on the signature side?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Chris,

What's that just beside the mekugi ana on the signature side?
    Hello Bruce,
    I am not sure what caught your eye mate, here is a close up of that area.
    Cheers and best regards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Assistance required in dating this Shin guntō  

Thanks Chris, just tool marks!

Thanks Chris, just tool marks!
    Are those merely tool marks, or is it part of the name; or .... obliterated kanji? I tried three other names that have the 正 "masa" kanji but with extra strokes, and came up with these three:

征宗
    柾宗
    延宗

No Google hits to the above, except for that last one "Nobumune"... a koto swordsmith. HOWEVER, the engraved kanji is definitely not as that last stroke does not move under the masa portion.

????

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Are those merely tool marks, or is it part of the name; or .... obliterated kanji? I tried three other names that have the 正 "masa" kanji but with extra strokes, and came up with these three:

征宗
    柾宗
    延宗

No Google hits to the above, except for that last one "Nobumune"... a koto swordsmith. HOWEVER, the engraved kanji is definitely not as that last stroke does not move under the masa portion.

????

--Guy
    Guy, what do you think of the "Suke" on this Sukemitsu. I know this one is not "mitsu", but what do you think of the similarites of the "Suke"?
    JAPANESE SWORD - Nakirishi Mei

Guy, what do you think of the "Suke" on this Sukemitsu. I know this one is not "mitsu", but what do you think of the similarites of the "Suke"?
    JAPANESE SWORD - Nakirishi Mei
    Hi Bruce,

That suke is which is also read as "Sa" as in the surname 佐藤 Satō. The one on your sword is *definitely* masa ... (with or without additional toolmarks).

Cheers!
    --Guy

EDIT: I thought I showed the "grass writing" version of .... but that might have been on a different thread: