Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Authenticating a Japanese flag?

Article about: by clarkmilitaria Thank you all for your input. Stu, I have a signed meatball flag, just looking for a standard rising sun to fill a hole. A signed rising sun would be out of my price range

Default Authenticating a Japanese flag?

Hello,

There is a rising sun flag that I am interested in in an upcoming auction. However, some of the other items for sale in this auction are fake, so the house clearly doesn't know their stuff. I know this is probably nearly impossible, but I would really appreciate opinions on this flag's originality. From photos alone, I know, probably won't be able to do it, but it's worth a try. There may be a red flag (no pun intended) that I missed, maybe you all could catch it. Specifications are 2x3 feet, and silk. Thanks for looking.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authenticating a Japanese flag?   Authenticating a Japanese flag?  

Authenticating a Japanese flag?   Authenticating a Japanese flag?  

Authenticating a Japanese flag?   Authenticating a Japanese flag?  

Default Re: Authenticating a Japanese flag?

Looks original imo and the fact is these werent really that commonly faked they arent rare and the Japanese people want nothing to do with items from the ww2 era so they are very available !!

Great, thanks! I thought that the rising sun flags as opposed to plain meatball flags were uncommon.

?

Not that im in any way 100% sure but ithought that these silk flags had leather corner pieces to strengthen the securing tapes to stop the silk from tearing in the wind

Quote by davejb View Post
    Not that im in any way 100% sure but ithought that these silk flags had leather corner pieces to strengthen the securing tapes to stop the silk from tearing in the wind
    This was done but not in all cases !!

- - Updated - -

Quote by clarkmilitaria View Post
    Great, thanks! I thought that the rising sun flags as opposed to plain meatball flags were uncommon.
    They are more uncommon then meatball flags but still not super rare !!!

This appears to be a period original flag. They are still available in this pattern and also the navy pattern in Japan. The new one do have brightners and will glow under black light. They were never made to decieve anyone. I saw my first examples of the new versions upon my first trip to Japan in 1979.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Nice piece, I have one just like it.

?

I tend to agree that the period of manufacture was in the 1940s. However, that does not mean it's military issue. These were commonly available and often displayed for patriotic purposes. Any that I have seen with confirmed military links have indeed had the reinforcing corner tabs.

Have you this item in hand? I've enlarged the photos as much as possible and can't help but wonder if that fabric isn't Rayon. Often referred to as faux silk it is slightly heavier in weave with a bit more bounce to the fabric when in motion. There is nothing wrong with it being Rayon as that was one of several materials that flags were made from in that period.

As these unsigned examples are not rare I think you should ask yourself if you will be satisfied with this one or perhaps would prefer to wait till one with corner tabs comes available.

Regards,
    Stu

I have one made of silk hanging on my wall in my war room. It came from a veteran of Guadalcanal. I have mine framed. See my pictures on my profile "my Museum". Looks like mine before I framed it. Same hangers and size. great looking flag.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thank you all for your input. Stu, I have a signed meatball flag, just looking for a standard rising sun to fill a hole. A signed rising sun would be out of my price range for my purposes, but I appreciate your opinions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast