Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

BackPack

Article about: This backpack look make for mountain or cold place, in any part look make with military materials but not have stamps, i ask for more info up it thanks Here what is write? Thanks

?

In this case the position of the name does not seem random.

BackPack

That was added postwar to make it seem like militaria, a real sergeant would not actually address himself in that manner or mark his possessions in that way. These were assembled in the postwar slums using scraps. Another popular industry in the slums was the carving of personal signet stamps. In Japan, stamps instead of signatures close a deal, but many families lost theirs in the bombings and without a stamp you couldn't even borrow money, so the first order of business was to recover ones ID, so signets were in great demand.

?

I have seen ( wished I'd saved) photos of navy wearing similar backpacks. One shot was from the rear or boat & a group of navy soldier were wading a shore towards a beach. There were clearly two backpacks being worn. Having said that I totally agree with Nick's assessment

Anyone who reads my evolution series would know that as of 1st April 1943, buckle and strap arrangements on army equipment were abolished and all replaced by tie-string closures. Such a leather strap closing with a brass buckle was only possible very early in the 30s or postwar.

?

Nick with all due respect bayonet frogs used buckles throughout the war as did rifle cleaning kit pouches & Im sure I'm overlooking a few others. Regardless , I did see a back pack with straps & buckles being worn by a navy soldier

Jareth, I was not addressing you, but Type 4.

Besides, the whole purpose of those material switching ordinances was to allow items in the weapons category like bayonet frogs to continue using leather or rubberized leather where it was regarded crucial, so you miss the whole point by mixing up categories like that. For items in the weapons category, material substitutes were designated in 1939 and these items were not affected by later ordinances that addressed only items in the uniform regulations.

Army backpacks officially dropped leather straps in 1939, so leather straps with buckle specs on items like the put-together backpacks simply did not happen beyond that date, until a lot of scrap became available after the war in the civilian market. The IJA's material downgrade plan was planned carefully well in advance and was followed meticulously and consistently. Such haphazard application as would be the case if introducing a rucksack like this after 1939 simply was not allowed to happen in the IJA.

That the item had no army markings was the first red light, and assuming that such a spec was possible late in the war was another red light. You ran straight through several red lights in this purchase. If you don't apply more common sense to such gambles, you will soon have more civilian items than militaria in your collection.

?

My example
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BackPack   BackPack  

BackPack   BackPack  

?

In this picture in the floor a back pack with same shape, with the picture of 2 sailor posted in other discussion from Jareth we have 2 image of this back pach

BackPack

Second picture a mani without rifle (nco or officer is near the back pack)
    BackPack

Quote by Jareth View Post
    My example
    Named to
    福永
    Fukunaga

富永 Tominaga

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast