Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Battle Damaged(?) Data Plate

Article about: Got this in today thanks to having too much time to browse eBay. A heavy brass or bronze data plate that appears to have a bullet or shrapnel strike to the top left. When I saw the photos at

?

Default Battle Damaged(?) Data Plate

Got this in today thanks to having too much time to browse eBay. A heavy brass or bronze data plate that appears to have a bullet or shrapnel strike to the top left. When I saw the photos at first I thought it might have been damaged by whoever removed it, but on closer examination it does look like a bullet strike.
    I can read some Japanese, but due to the damage I haven't yet figured out what it came from. The top seems to be a Showa 3 date followed by 改 and then the rest obliterated. The bottom looks like "株式会社日本製鋼所"Japan Steel Works
    Anyone have a similar plate and know what it's from? Or maybe a more fluent Japanese reader might be able to make a better guess at the missing/damaged kanji.

Last edited by Ryoyo; 04-05-2020 at 09:46 AM.

There is no indication of what it came from. The top line says it was a model modified in 1928, and you got the manufacturer's name at the bottom right.

?

I'm going to guess it is probably from some piece of artillery since it seems to be a heavy duty plate and Japan Steel Works made that sort of thing. Hopefully someday I'll find a photo of one that can solve the mystery.

Nick states: There is no indication of what it came from.

Quote by Ryoyo View Post
    I'm going to guess it is probably from some piece of artillery since it seems to be a heavy duty plate and Japan Steel Works made that sort of thing.
    That's a far stretch of "a guess" in the face of facts
    Last edited by Long Shot; 04-06-2020 at 02:28 AM.

Here's how such plates looked from 1942 in code. The company name of Nihon Steel became a simple イ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle Damaged(?) Data Plate  

?

It appears the damage might of occurred when it was pried off rather than battle damage