Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bayonet Scale Markings

Article about: Hello: Any assistance with translation of the markings on the scale of this bayonet would be appreciated. Do the markings appear to have been made before the end of WWII or after? I am attac

?

Default Bayonet Scale Markings

Hello: Any assistance with translation of the markings on the scale of this bayonet would be appreciated.

Do the markings appear to have been made before the end of WWII or after?

I am attaching two pictures, with rotation of 180 degrees so that I cover the orientation of the markings. Thank you!

Bayonet Scale Markings
    Bayonet Scale Markings
    Bayonet Scale Markings

Though the Kanji is indistinct, 148/学 is what I think it says. That would make it a school training bayonet.

?

Thank you Nick.

Would like to see pics of the entire bayonet and scabbard. Training bayonets are always interesting.
    John

I saw exactly what Nick saw: 148/学

Note simplified vs. traditional:
    学 v. 學

While the bayonet may have been used for some type of educational purposes it's actually a standard Matsushita T30. Here are two other examples with the same markings, how fun is that! It pays to keep an eye on painted kanji. Ignore the wood scabbard on the one example, it's a mismatch to the bayonet. Apologies for the orientation of the pics, no matter how they were oriented before the were inserted into the post this is how they ended up. I tried...

Bayonet Scale MarkingsBayonet Scale Markings

?

Here’s my example
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bayonet Scale Markings   Bayonet Scale Markings  

?

Here are more pictures of the bayonet that I originally posted. Sorry that they are not the best. I believe that the bayonet is an LB112 (not a trainer), which Labar calls a "controversial variation". Thoughts on it?

Bayonet Scale Markings
    Bayonet Scale Markings
    Bayonet Scale Markings
    Bayonet Scale Markings

Quote by Bobby View Post
    Labar calls a "controversial variation". Thoughts on it?
    Good catch! It's a harder to find variation, though I've never understood LaBar's use of the word controversial. It's simply an example of using up older blades with newer style grips. Your wood scabbard is an early Matsushita variation and there's a good chance it's original to the bayonet.

It's interesting to note your kanji is on the left grip whereas the other examples are on the right.

What's wrong with a standard army bayonet being used for military drills at school? Loads of old as well as brand new army bayonets were supplied to schools by the army for training. The archives are full of such records. Does "training bayonet" mean some kind of dummy bayonet in collector lingo?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast