Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone translate this Japanese Good Luck Flag?

Article about: It is not a standard good luck flag, and it appears to be in cursive calligraphy in old kanji. I’d very much appreciate if anyone can translate it.

?

Default Can anyone translate this Japanese Good Luck Flag?

It is not a standard good luck flag, and it appears to be in cursive calligraphy in old kanji. I’d very much appreciate if anyone can translate it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone translate this Japanese Good Luck Flag?   Can anyone translate this Japanese Good Luck Flag?  

Can anyone translate this Japanese Good Luck Flag?   Can anyone translate this Japanese Good Luck Flag?  

Can anyone translate this Japanese Good Luck Flag?   Can anyone translate this Japanese Good Luck Flag?  

Sorry. It is a cursive form and illegible to me. I can make out the name Katoh on the left margin, 5th and 6th characters:
    加藤

That line might be:
    勝を之下加藤之二字
    Winning is the two characters below: 加藤 “Katoh” [a surname].

Hopefully you can find a native-speaker /reader who can correct my mess without laughing too much!

— Guy

Which does not make sense to me, so I must be doing something wrong.

Post it on the Japan Reference forum under Good Luck flags and militaria. I know only a little but the lack of different signatures radiating out would be a red flag, no pun intended.

The kanji are good and skillfully done — I just cannot read it!
    ^_^

— Guy

From the right, the first line reads "Serving with utmost sincerity".

2nd and 3rd lines on left of orb reads "Tis the duty of a subject to revere the deities and serve his lord with full dedication".

Lower part of the 3rd line is the author's signature, which I cannot fully make out, followed by a stamp of his name. His family name looks like 影久 Kagehisa and I see something like 中将 Lt. General following his name, but no such general is listed, so I got stuck there.

The stamp consists of red characters on a white background, indicating that the name is his pseudonym as a calligrapher, not his legal name, which would have been stamped in white on a red background instead.

The 4th line says something about 2 kanji characters and something missing, but I cannot make sense out of it.

This is not called a Yosegaki, but is called a Kensho instead, as a calligrapher is dedicating his work as a motto to someone, not for many others to join in with messages.

Calligraphy is an art form that takes a lot of liberty with kanji. so you need someone with a background in that art to extract anything more out of it.

?

Interesting! Thank you. I suppose it wont be easy to find someone who can extract the rest then, but much appreciated