Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cast metal picture - IJA and Destroyed Bridge in China?

Article about: Just got this today. A bit different. It's 44 cm (17 inches) wide and quite heavy. Not sure what the cast metal is. I assume it is a scene from China, as the date on the frame looks to be Sh

Default Cast metal picture - IJA and Destroyed Bridge in China?

Just got this today. A bit different. It's 44 cm (17 inches) wide and quite heavy. Not sure what the cast metal is.

I assume it is a scene from China, as the date on the frame looks to be Showa 13, though is that a 3? I'll let the pictures talk.

Cheers,
    Tony

Cast metal picture - IJA and Destroyed Bridge in China?Cast metal picture - IJA and Destroyed Bridge in China?Cast metal picture - IJA and Destroyed Bridge in China?Cast metal picture - IJA and Destroyed Bridge in China?Cast metal picture - IJA and Destroyed Bridge in China?Cast metal picture - IJA and Destroyed Bridge in China?

This is a plaque given out by Lt. General Toshizo Nishio in a gesture of sharing a cash award made to him by the Emperor and dated May of 1938.

In China, he was commander of the 2nd Army, so the plaque was probably given out to his staff from that time and therefore depicts his army fording the Yellow River using a pontoon bridge. In the navy, prize money was often shared with subordinates by presenting them with navy daggers. This was the army way of extending that courtesy to staff.

The sculpting work was done by the same artist who designed the Manchurian and China Incident War Medals, Hinago Jitsuzo (read post 86)

MAP
    ?

Great info Nick.

Tony: a nice piece. Congrats
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Wow Nick, that's a lot more special than I was expecting! Thank you for that wonderful information. From your link I can now see Hinago Jitsuzo's signature on the top left of the plaque itself, and of course the kanji for Nishio - are we to assume he is the large figure on the right I wonder?
    I thought the condition of the frame and golden kanji almost too good so pondered about the purchase at first. I guess it was just put away after the war and thus has remained in fine condition.
    Thanks again for the research.
    Cheers,
    Tony

When looking at the kanji on the wiki site, do not get concerned with the different kanji in the given name; it's using the modern kanji.

Wiki: 西尾 寿
    Plaque: 西尾

Very nice!! A beautiful piece of art! What a great find! congrats, G.