Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.

Article about: One of those oddities that turn up now and then. In this case from and auction and then handed on by a friend who knows of (but doesn't share) my interest in the Great Eastern War. A brass m

?

Default Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.

One of those oddities that turn up now and then. In this case from an auction and then handed on by a friend who knows of (but doesn't share) my interest in the Great Eastern War. A brass medal, coin or something else, I have no idea!Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.

Taiwanese commemorative coin. Here a better photo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.  

?

What does it commemorate? Founding of, end of war, 50 years of. It is a damn big thing, near 2 inches across.

?

I suspected nationalist Chinese because of the dragon which matches the one on the reverse/obverse of Imperial Chinese dollars.

National Foundation Day

?

Thank you. I thought it an interesting oddity, and an internet search was not turning anything up. Can you give me some idea of date?
    I like to collect oddments from the era, which is why I have a series of pre WW2 Japanese 50 sen in silver, a very interesting illustration of the devaluation as war approached. Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.

You'll need to provide a much better photo of the rear side so the characters are legible, as I see that the reverse is different from other coins celebrating 1st Jan. 1912.

?

More images taken on my 'phone.Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal.

?

As a coin collector, I think this is a modern Chinese made fake. Note the crude "star" on the left flag compared to the picture Nick posted. The dragon is also crude, which can be the case on some providential Chinese coinage, but that side of the coin says it is Japanese in kanji, which it certainly is not.
    Many "Old coins" are being faked in China to sell to tourists and unsuspecting people online, there's usually someone at any swap meet selling a box full of them, usually fake silver dollar type coins. My local coin shop has several people a day bring them in thinking they have some rare treasure.

Yes, it is a fake. The rear side is inspired by a Japanese gold coin shown below minted in 1870.

The fake was probably made in 2005/6, as the gold coin was among those the Japanese government had auctioned off in 2005. Until then, it was among the Holy Grail of Japanese coins.
    Attached Images Attached Images Chinese nationalist or collaborators medal. 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast