Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A collection of Japanese dirks

Article about: Good day to all respected members of the forum! The collection of Japanese dirks is gradually expanding and there are more and more new specimens. All dirks are identified and described. The

?

Default A collection of Japanese dirks

Good day to all respected members of the forum! The collection of Japanese dirks is gradually expanding and there are more and more new specimens.
    All dirks are identified and described. The only question is one dirk?

I am asking for your help with more detailed information on this specimen. I will be very grateful for the information. With respect to you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A collection of Japanese dirks   A collection of Japanese dirks  

A collection of Japanese dirks   A collection of Japanese dirks  

?

The question concerns one of the daggers from this group. I understand that this dirk was owned by a forestry official. But I would like to learn more about the specimen, the photo of which I am posting below. The blade is standard, machine-made, with a bevel on both sides and acid hamon. Thank you all for your reply!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A collection of Japanese dirks   A collection of Japanese dirks  

A collection of Japanese dirks   A collection of Japanese dirks  

I am away from home and my books for several days. Have you checked Dawson's book about it?

?

Forestry dirk help please - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    Accidentally came across a discussion of the identification of a similar dagger, but without completion.

?

The point is that no forest department dirk is like this one.
    One of the dealers lists this dirk as Korean.
    (English) Japanese Chosen (Korean) dagger - Antique weapons, collectibles, silver, icons, bronze, swords, daggers..

I do not think that would be Chosin/Korea because it has the Tokugawa [ergo Japanese government] kiri-mon. Anything related to Chosen during Japanese occupation should have a plum blossom -- right?

-- Guy
    (definitely out of my wheel house here)

?

And why the plum blossom? The seal of the Governor General of Korea looked like this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A collection of Japanese dirks  

?

The problem is that, unfortunately, I have never found the original image of the Chosin official's dagger. I have no doubt that there was such a court. There is a very interesting image on another forum discussing the same specimen, which is linked to in previous posts.

?

In this photo from a Japanese book provided by a fellow collector, there are many interesting variations of Japanese daggers, including those from the Japanese occupied territories. For example, the dagger with the image of Manchurian sorghum or the wreath with a lot of leaves, described in the book by Gregory and Fuller.

?

Unfortunately, the source of this page has never been found. The translation of the text that is visible on the page also did nothing. Therefore, questions about the dirk remained. Who owned this dagger, what period is it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast