Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Comfort Bag

Article about: Okay, I have a confession to make: I am a closet comfort bag collector! Yes, it's true and I think that the reason has to do with the artwork on the fronts of the bags as well as the often i

Default Comfort Bag

Okay, I have a confession to make: I am a closet comfort bag collector! Yes, it's true and I think that the reason has to do with the artwork on the fronts of the bags as well as the often interesting items that were placed inside of them. I think that we discussed these a bit on one of Alex's threads and so when I came across this example at home, I decided to share. If anyone else out there has any artwork bags, I would enjoy seeing them. The style of rising sun on the front of this one is reminiscent of the type often seen on navy league badges and flags. I think that Rich Catalano has a few of this style of badge on his site....Comfort BagComfort BagComfort Bag MichaelB

You can just barely see a small round purple stamp that was placed near the bottom of the artwork. I'm sorry but I cannot ID it...MichaelB

?

As you say Michael , a very eye catching example , really nicely marked and just the kind of item that i like also thanks for showing us
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Very nice, Mike!

Tom

Very nice Comfort bag Mike.I have never seen one like that before I especially like the "Clipped" ends of the sun rays, reminds me of a Navy Seppa I saw on Ohmura's Gunto Site.Regards,Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images Comfort Bag 

Default Comfort Bag

Thank you for the further illustration Geoff. I was trying to figure out a way to describe the ends of the sun rays and "clipped" is most apt. The "Sun Rays" was also a music group I grew up hearing in SoCal when I was a kid. Their really big hit was called, "The Warmth of the Sun". This hardly follows the thread but I know you are a music guy, so I took some liberty....!
    MichaelB

Default Another Comfort Bag

Posting another style of Comfort Bag. This example measures roughly the same as the first example: 13.00" H X 8.00" W. You can see the tie strings that gather the bag in the upper right corner. These were first printed off on a thin silk or cotton cloth and then folded over and stitched across the bottom, then along the open side. Tie strings were applied across the top, the material folded over and stitched closed, leaving one corner open with its strings exposed. Some styles of these are being reproduced in Japan and being sold to "re-enactment" enthusiasts. Like post-war tiger senninbari and other items, these are finding their way into our hobby as well.
    Comfort BagComfort BagComfort Bag
    MichaelB

Very nice Mike! That is the first time I have seen a comfort bag in this style! most I have encountered are the green type with the zig zag.Here is one I have had for awhile, along with some of its contents.In my opinion these items provide a melancholy glimpse into things the soldiers held dear so far from home.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Comfort Bag   Comfort Bag  

Comfort Bag   Comfort Bag  

Hi Geoff-
    Hum, those items look familiar! I think the green bag like you show here is more of a "ditty" bag than a comfort bag (hoko... vs imon...), but I might be wrong. You sometimes see vintage images that show soldiers in uniform posing with this green bag and its longer strings looped around their wrists, prior to their leaving for overseas. The one carried official/personal items (pay books/techo, etc.) the other carried goodies from home.
    MichaelB

MAP
    ?

Quote by MichaelB View Post
    Hi Geoff-
    Hum, those items look familiar! I think the green bag like you show here is more of a "ditty" bag than a comfort bag (hoko... vs imon...), but I might be wrong. You sometimes see vintage images that show soldiers in uniform posing with this green bag and its longer strings looped around their wrists, prior to their leaving for overseas. The one carried official/personal items (pay books/techo, etc.) the other carried goodies from home.
    MichaelB
    Correct. These bags are completely different than the "comfort" bags. I have one of these ditty bags but have never run across the comfort bags.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast