Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Commemorative Sake Bottle, translation/authentication

Article about: Hello all, I would greatly appreciate any help in translating the text on this sake bottle purportedly from the WWII period. My Japanese is practically nonexistent but I did hazard a guess a

?

Default Commemorative Sake Bottle, translation/authentication

Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate any help in translating the text on this sake bottle purportedly from the WWII period. My Japanese is practically nonexistent but I did hazard a guess at the name 'Uchida'? Most likely wrong, I know.

On a more general note is it possible to authenticate such items as from the period with any degree of certainty? Obviously I have no idea what to look for in terms of construction/style/design etc. so would be very glad of any answers anyone can give. I like these small items, personally, and they are not too expensive either (bad sign?).

Apologies for the photos, with the light glare and all - they are not mine but the seller's.

Thanks in advance!

短現
    Tangen
    Short Form [of enlistment ... 2 years instead of 4 .... or whatever it was]

内田
    Uchida
    Serviceman's surname

Others will be able to tell you when the short-term enlistments quit being offered. It is definitely pre-1945.

-- Guy

“短現” an abbreviation of “短期現役” - short term active duty could mean 2 things depending on the period (and service). The first was “短期現役兵”- short term active enlistment, which was a system introduced to replace the unpopular “一年志願兵”- one year volunteer, a copy of the German “Einjaehrig Freiwilliger” system.
    Under this system, graduates of teacher schools will serve only 5 months active service in either the Army or Navy and then be assigned to the secondary reserves,”第一国民兵役”, which were almost never called up for service, without having to spend 15 years as a reservist liable for call up. This system existed until 1939.
    The second is “短期現役士官”- short term active duty officer, a system introduced by the Navy in the 30s where college graduates were accepted as officers in the non- line branches of the Navy, e.g., paymaster, legal, medical, etc. branches and serve for 2 years. (In actuality, they had to continue to serve during war time.). Some big names such as former Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone were alumnus of this system.

Since your sake bottle has the Army star insignia, that would place the original presenter (commemorative sake bottles and cups were given out by returning soldiers/sailors to relatives and neighbors as souvenirs) in the former category.

Excellent post, Akira-san. I wonder if your response could be added as a sticky somewhere -- I know the topic will again surface as it has done so in the past.

-- Guy

Guy-san:
    Thank you for your kind words.
    I thought already Nick wrote something on 短期現役, but it must have been a reply to someone else’s post as I can’t seem to find it in the stickies.
    Kindest regards,
    Akira

My searching skills are bad, but I don't see a previous discussion either.

Guy, I could put the post in the first section of Nick's Master index, under A. Primers for new collectors of Japanese Militaria. What would you suggest as a title? Something like: "Short Term Active Duty vs Short Term Active Duty Officer" ?

Hi Bruce,

Many thanks!! I think "Short Term Active Duty" would work.

Akira-san, what do you think?

-- Guy

?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    n the first section of Nick's Master index, under A. Primers for new collectors of Japanese Militaria.
    I think it would be better to have an "Akira Master Index" sticky rather that mixing them together.

Unrelated to the above, I think there are too many stickies on the Japanese subforum. I think there should be a limit to no more than 5 stickies. I think most of the stickies could be placed into one sticky or be unstickied altogether.

Agreed Kiipu!!! An Akira-specific index and I like the name you've proposed, but suggest we add his surname: "Akira Komiya Master Index" . I'm sure we'll get more gems that will need to be stored for posterity.

-- Guy

Although I am honored by the suggestion, I am somewhat reluctant to have a whole new sticky created for my posts. Unlike the comprehensive well researched articles written by my late brother, I can only provide responses to questions within my realm of knowledge. For example, the immediate post was just to respond to the question of what “短現” meant, and is not intended as a comprehensive explanation of the systems including an explanation of it’s predecessor system, which Nick would no doubt had done.
    Maybe just add my posts to the list of Nick’s posts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast