Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Banzai-Charge Song!

Article about: I've been interested in "Kirikomi-tai" [raiding party/gyokusai/suicide attack] since 1983 when I learned that our style's master-teacher, Nakamura Taizaburo, was a fencing instruct

Default Cool Banzai-Charge Song!

I've been interested in "Kirikomi-tai" [raiding party/gyokusai/suicide attack] since 1983 when I learned that our style's master-teacher, Nakamura Taizaburo, was a fencing instructor to the 2nd Yamashita Corps Southern Attack Force [第二次山下兵団南方斬込隊].

The other day I found a song for a Kirikomitai!!

We know that I'm no linguist, but I think I've somewhat captured the feeling, so please bear with me:

特別攻撃隊「斬込隊」
    Special Attack Squad [Kirikomitai]

1、命一つとかけがへに 百人千人斬ってやる 日本刀と銃剣の
    切れ味知れと敵陣深く 今宵又ゆく斬込隊

1. One life and one sword we'll slash a hundred, a thousand men.
    Knowing the Japanese sword and bayonet cutting quality,
    Go again this evening, deep into the enemy’s camp: KIRIKOMITAI

2、草の葉すれも忍びつつ 身には爆薬手榴弾 二十重の圍 (かこ) みくぐりぬけ敵司令部の眞只中に 散るを覚悟の殴りこみ
    2. While sneaking through the grass, surrounded by a multitude of exploding hand grenades -- Go through!
    Right in the midst of the enemy's command center, resolve to scatter and strike the enemy.

3、示し合はせた戦友が 戦車を くだくときのこえ あわてふためく敵のなか弾薬砲座 爆破しまわり 縦横無尽に斬りまくる
    3. A comrade-in-arms is fighting a tank, the panicking enemy's turret [gun platform] exploding all around.
    With reckless abandon, slash through.

4、血潮したたる鉄兜 拭ふは風か椰子の葉か ささげた命ながらえて見かへる空は あかく燃えて 戦友と微笑む月明かり
    4. Blood drips down my helmet -- is it wiped off by the wind, or a palm leaf? While sacrificing one's life, look up, the sky is burning; the moonlight smiles upon my comrades.

-- Guy

Wonder what movie they took those clips from?

Well, I was hoping the music was going to be something really inspirational, because the lyrics, by themselves make me want to slit my wrists! But alas, it's sung in operatic style, which just makes me want to tie an anchor to my feet and jump off a boat!

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    ... the lyrics, by themselves make me want to slit my wrists! But alas, it's sung in operatic style, which just makes me want to tie an anchor to my feet and jump off a boat!
    Hahahahahahaha! (^___^)

?

Harsh! I think it is from a film about the Fox of Saipan, aka Captain Sakae Ōba. Background music to the "Banzai charge" in one version of the event.. Oba: The Last Samurai - Wikipedia

Oba, The Last Samurai 2011 Saipan Final banzai charge on July 7, 1944 - YouTube

I always thought it was a one note wonder .... BANZAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Byakkotai (白虎隊)

WW2 version

1986 version

Which version do you like better?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Wonder what movie they took those clips from?

Well, I was hoping the music was going to be something really inspirational, because the lyrics, by themselves make me want to slit my wrists! But alas, it's sung in operatic style, which just makes me want to tie an anchor to my feet and jump off a boat!
    Only women slit their wrists. What did Shakespeare say about women? Frailty, thy name is woman. Right.

Watch the above video. It shows how a manly man does it.

Quote by Sporter90 View Post
    Only women slit their wrists. What did Shakespeare say about women? Frailty, thy name is woman. Right.

Watch the above video. It shows how a manly man does it.
    Guys, is it me or is this just a little distasteful?

Over the years , I have encountered what I consider to be more than my share of suicides. Setting aside the drug overdoses and drownings these have included the use of blades, firearms, ropes, cars, cars and ropes (unbelievable) and really impressive for the interested, railway trains.

Trust me, there is nothing heroic, glorious or inspiring about it. It is sad, shitty and spoils your day.

Or, have I misunderstood something here?

Regards

Mark
    PS I am not talking about the soldier in combat whose selfless act in the face of the enemy ends up in the awards such as KC, VC or MOH just post#7 above.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Guys, is it me or is this just a little distasteful?...
    Nah, it's a Japanese cultural thing. Still goes on today -- almost monthly, if not more often, you hear on NHK news about an elderly child in her 80s who kills her parents because it is so emotionally difficult to take care of them; then she commits suicide. There's a famous "Suicide Forest" where remains are constantly found.

Sure suicide impacts survivors more (I know a few Japanese whose mother has suicided, etc.) and it is devastating. But it's more "accepted" in Japan (I use that adjective advisedly) than here.

-- Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Nah, it's a Japanese cultural thing. Still goes on today -- almost monthly, if not more often, you hear on NHK news about an elderly child in her 80s who kills her parents because it is so emotionally difficult to take care of them; then she commits suicide. There's a famous "Suicide Forest" where remains are constantly found.

Sure suicide impacts survivors more (I know a few Japanese whose mother has suicided, etc.) and it is devastating. But it's more "accepted" in Japan (I use that adjective advisedly) than here.

-- Guy
    Thanks Guy, yes I understand the Japanese cultural element and the historical interest in the military aspect of "death before dishonour" and I do find that intriguing as much as anyone else interested in wartime history in particular.

My own "raise of eyebrows" was concerned with a perceived degree of mysogyny (only women... frailty etc) and chauvinism (see how a manly man does it) in post#7 which can only come from a position in which the sights and smells are imagined.

Thanks again for your reply and the original post.

Best

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast