MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938)

Article about: The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938) Why a Field Cap? The legacy of WWI put the development of steel helmets and gas masks on the priority list for the Japanese Army, and as bot

?

Nick, do you know if the linings are tack stitched or not in these repro’s?

Regards

Russ

The repro of what is supposed to be a theater-made cap has no liner or issue marks, the 1941 marked repro is marked as depot made, so it must have a tacked on lining. About the Nakata repro, I don't know how the lining is attached.

glad to see this thread still open. i was watching (THE PACIFIC WAR IN COLOR) at the end on the final episode they show several videos of post war japan all of the hats they wear have no star. so the question is was there some order to remove the star at the end of the war. in post 40 you say a cotton cap is suspect in the same show at the end they show several japanese soldiers one still has the star on his hat and the hat looks like it could be cotton. this show is on hulu. i just watched the part in the show it is 49 minutes and 45 seconds in.
    Last edited by jeeplover; 01-17-2021 at 05:09 AM.

?

Quote by jeeplover View Post
    glad to see this thread still open. i was watching (THE PACIFIC WAR IN COLOR) at the end on the final episode they show several videos of post war japan all of the hats they wear have no star. so the question is was there some order to remove the star at the end of the war. in post 40 you say a cotton cap is suspect in the same show at the end they show several japanese soldiers one still has the star on his hat and the hat looks like it could be cotton. this show is on hulu. i just watched the part in the show it is 49 minutes and 45 seconds in.
    A lot of civilian caps were made in the same basic style, so by removing the insignia a returning soldier made his service cap into an ordinary cap he could wear. With all the shortages after the war, good clothing wasn't to be wasted. A soldier returning to a bombed/burned down home might have nothing else to wear. Japanese uniforms were easy to demilitarize as they are fairly simple, just remove some rank tabs and maybe a patch and you have work clothes much like any civilian worker of the time. As far as I know there wasn't any order to remove the insignia, people just wanted to move on with their lives.

Read this post that features the order to remove stars from the army field caps.

ok has anyone seen the show i mentioned to see if that is a cotton cap?

so i keep reading through i do not see anything that mentions the caps with the neck flap permanently attached why are they fake? my friend has one I will get it and take some photos.

Please upload such oddities as a separate thread or I will be forced to close this thread to preserve its integrity.

For the reference of those who wish to speculate upon the fate that befell the neck flaps, I will list the last 7 shipments to field units that remain on record.

1. 4th April 1941: 100,000 pcs shipped to the Kwantung Army in Manchuria

2. 20th March 1942: 1,158 pcs shipped to the 53rd Division

3. 11th April 1942 : 65,000 pcs to Korea

4. 5th June 1942: 69,000 pcs to Southern China

5. 11th July 1942:5,000 pcs to Ship freight HQ

6. 24th Nov. 1942:220,000 pcs to the 53rd Field Freight Depot, Singapore

7. 7th Dec. 1942:10,000 pcs to the 26th Field Freight Depot, 8th Area Army

There are no further shipments recorded till the end of the war.

Gunzoku Caps

A short explanation is perhaps necessary on civilian Army Gunzoku caps, not to mix them up with army caps.

With the outbreak of the China Incident of 1937, which also brought Gunzoku personnel closer to the front lines, you already know that it was decided in August 1940 to let them carry swords as self-protection. Along with the swords, the same edict set them up with a new jacket, insignia and caps, also more suited to the front.

The visor cap designated for Gunzoku differed from the army version in having a hat band in the same color as the rest of the cap, and the field cap had an olive stripe of 10mm width going around an army officer's cap. At this time, these were for wear above Hanninkan ranks, but a follow-up notice came on 29th October 1943 that Younin (hired laborers) could now wear army EM grade fieldcaps with the Gunzoku stripe added. Until that time, since June 1940, laborers only wore Gunzoku visors. 
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Development of the Army Field Cap (1932-1938)  

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast