Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Вuttonhole

Article about: Good day to all. What kind of buttonhole, what period?

BTR
    ?

Default Вuttonhole

Good day to all.
    What kind of buttonhole, what period?

Вuttonhole

Вuttonhole

?

Not Japanese in my opinion

I believe the insignia is for the Japanese National Police Reserve Force (警察予備隊) or its successor the National Safety Forces(保安隊, predecessors to the current Japan Ground Self Defense Forces).
    The National Police Reserve Force was established on August 10, 1950 upon the outbreak of the Korean war and was reorganized as the National Safety Forces on October 15, 1952. It was subsequently reorganized and expanded as the Japan Ground Self Defense Forces on July 1, 1954.
    I will attach a photo taken from Wikipedia showing a display of Japanese National Police Reserve Force/National Safety Forces insignia as well as examples which were recently sold on auction here. The insignia was worn on the right breast above the rank insignia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Вuttonhole   Вuttonhole  

Last edited by Akira Komiya; 01-25-2024 at 12:54 AM.

I found a photo of the insignia in wear on the cover of the August 17, 1953 issue of Newsweek.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Вuttonhole  

I just noted Mark Felton had a video on YouTube on the subject. You can see the insignia in question in wear from around 9:15.
    Japan's First Postwar Army - YouTube

BTR
    ?

Thanks for the help.