Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Esoteric Questions About Imperial Military

Article about: Hi everyone. This is one of my first posts, but it's actually the reason I joined the site. I have two quick questions about some uncommon topics of the Imperial Military. I've seen that War

Default Esoteric Questions About Imperial Military

Hi everyone.
    This is one of my first posts, but it's actually the reason I joined the site. I have two quick questions about some uncommon topics of the Imperial Military. I've seen that War Relics as a website has some very knowledgeable and talented members, so maybe the questions I'll ask might not even be anything new.

Anyways, I'll make things quicker and just get to the list. Now, keep in mind that I know very little about these topics, so if I get something wrong or give incorrect information, I apologize.

#1. In both the cases of body armor and tank-tread add-on armor, I've heard around the Internet that the average soldier wouldn't have been allowed to use them. Besides a lack of resources, what would be the reasons a typical Japanese soldier couldn't wear body armor or weld on extra treads on as armor to his tank? All things considered, what was the permissable level of field modification for soldiers vs. officers, that the Imperial Military allowed?

#2. I know very little about Imperial Military dog tags, so I could have this wrong. However, if not every soldier received a dog tag, what were the reasons behind that? What purpose would it serve to issue dog tags selectively, if that practice was done?

Thanks in advance and the best of regards!

Hello Reddsquirrell, Geoff here. As far as who it could be used by I would assume Officers would be permitted to wear body armor However we are lucky enough to have some very knowledgeable members perhaps a translation of the Kanji on the set of body armor I have in my collection can shed a little more light on this particular Item.

Regards,GeoffEsoteric Questions About Imperial MilitaryEsoteric Questions About Imperial MilitaryEsoteric Questions About Imperial MilitaryEsoteric Questions About Imperial MilitaryEsoteric Questions About Imperial Military

MoreEsoteric Questions About Imperial MilitaryEsoteric Questions About Imperial MilitaryEsoteric Questions About Imperial MilitaryEsoteric Questions About Imperial MilitaryEsoteric Questions About Imperial Military

The vest is labelled "Patent pending, Kimura Type Protective Steel Vest, Everlasting Fortune in Battle". It was presented by Yamanaka a resident of Nagoya City to a Yamabuki.

Double post, see below.

Protective armor for individuals did exist and were used by combat engineers to raid bunkers and other enemy positions. However, these bullet proof helmets and body armor were heavy duty items, too heavy to wear for any length of time. So they were only brought out for assault. Lightweight body armor that could be worn all day did not exist.

A general issue armor item was the entrenching tool. The head was made of bullet proof steel and big enough to cover the face for sniper protection. They had two holes to allow forward vision, when looking out of a trench or foxhole. The shovel could also be stuck in the belt to keep the head at ones heart in raids, so at least part of the torso was protected.

However, bullet proof steel ideally required nickel in the alloy and as nickel was an import, lack thereof soon forced material compromises.

Sorry, I don't know anything about tank track reinforcements.

Individual IJA soldiers generally had no authority to modify standard equipment in the field. All items were expected to be returned in good condition at the end of ones service to be reissued to others. Officers, however, bought their own gear for keeps, so they had some room to customize, etc.

The navy did not have dog tags, but I never heard of army soldiers not having a dog tag. Of course, civilian helpers working for the army would have been exceptions.

Excepting the tank tracks, you will find all your answers here.

Thanks so much for the in-depth answers, fellows! I appreciate the body armor repost, Geoff. That's quite an impressive item! And Nick Komiya, thanks for clearing things up. I really appreciate your input!
    That answers all my questions. Even with the tread armor question, I can make some assumptions based off of Nick Komiya's answers and other already known information.
    Thanks!
    -J